Opening a saved G code file

Does anyone know of an app or program for opening a saved G code file? I’m using a MacBook Pro and Apple IOS. Also, in Carbide Create Pro I have added the tool list from IDC Woodcraft. When create tool paths using some of those tools, sometimes I get “Empty Toolpath” and other times they work fine. Anyone have some advice on this? Thanks

I’ve been using NCnetic:

which works well (wireframe only though) and has a nifty matching NotePad++ plug-in (which is the specific implementation I’ve been using).

For the tool list, it’s probably a matter of using a tool too large/geometry too small — post your file and a link to this tool list?

1 Like

Pyne Baby 2.c2d (616 KB)
FEEDS & SPEEDS TABLE rev. 2023-08.pdf (3.5 MB)

The 3D model in your file seems fine:

but I can’t tell from the link you sent how you entered the tools in question — could you go to About Carbide Create | Open Data Directory and zip up the .csv file you entered them in and post that?

Making as 3D roughing toolpath w/ a #102 worked fine:

(selecting the outer geometry)

Similarly, a 3D Finishing toolpath also worked well:

and adding a 3D finishing toolpath w/ a smaller tool limited to the stock area:

and then yet a smaller tool w/ finer stepover:

previewed well:

Selecting the text we add a V carving toolpath which starts at the flat surface of the 3D model (I guess 0.5", so start at a depth of 0.25"):

which works:

Attached as a v7 file.

Pyne Baby 2_v7.c2d (1.5 MB)

Finally

IDC-Woodcraft-Carbide-Create-Database-11-19-2023-Copy+Shapeoko+Any.csv.zip (2.2 KB)

As I noted, I believe the problem is that you have selected a small region, and are using a relative large tool w/ a relatively large “Stock to leave” dimension and a too large Depth Per Pass:

The Depth per Pass is 0.25":

if you reduce that to 0.0625":

then toolpaths will be generated:

My understanding is that for 3D toolpaths the Depth per Pass is added to the Stock to Leave value, and if that value is greater than the material which needs to be taken away no cut is made.

1 Like

William, thanks for all of your help. At least you now have another tool database. Still working on getting to the g code. I’m using Safari and not Windows and NCnetic won’t open up on my MacBook Pro.

Perhaps try:

or

or

1 Like

How dare you make a sign with a stork. Everyone knows babies come from under cabbage leaves. What is wrong with you propagating lies. :rofl:

3 Likes

I have never heard that before. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Planting a garden under the moon’s light is even in the Old Farmers Almanac. Had great Cabbage and beans that year

:smiley: I grew up a farmer’s assistant (my Dad), and he never planted a seed in the dark in his life. We always had a big garden. :smiley:

1 Like

It is not always what you do but if you believe something works.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.