Please helpšŸ™Upgraded to 1.5kw 220v spindle and having disconnect issues šŸ˜­

Did you ensure that the spindle housing is grounded?

Yes I did, I forgot to mention that. I also bought a powered usb hub as well.

What resistance do you measure (with your VOM) for each of the motor windings and the windings to ground (with the 240V circuit breaker off!) at the VFD terminals?
Resistance U to V?
Resistance U to W?
Resistance V to W?
Resistance U to E (VFD ground)?
Resistance E to spindleā€™s/motorā€™s metal housing?

Does the spindle seem to work properly as you manually vary its speed? Have you double checked your VFD settings?

What connections and input voltages do you now have at the VFD (another picture?)
Post a picture of the label on the Spindle?

Resistance U to V?.002
Resistance U to W?.002
Resistance V to W?.002
Resistance U to E (VFD ground)?1
Resistance E to spindleā€™s/motorā€™s metal housing?
Does the spindle seem to work properly as you manually vary its speed? Yes
Have you double checked your VFD settings? Yes I did, I looked at Juliens post to verify, the one setting I was confused on was the number of poles though, his says 2 and so thatā€™s what I put on mine.

I was hoping for resistance measurements at the VFD terminals with the spindle connected (and circuit breaker off for safety).
PD141 = 220 spindle rated voltage?
PD142 = 7 spindle rated current?
PD143 = 2 pole motor?
PD144 = 3600?

R-S Should be ~ 240 Vac
R-E Should be ~120 Vac
S-E Should be ~120 Vac

I will need to take the cap off the top of the spindle for this, correct?

No, check the resistances and voltages at the terminal strip in the VFD as youā€™ve shown here.

PD141 - PD144 are the parameters you should have entered into your VFD.

Resistance U to V?.002
Resistance U to W?.002
Resistance V to W?.002
Resistance U to E (VFD ground)?1
Resistance E to spindleā€™s/motorā€™s metal housing?0

Those values look strange to me, I would expect something in the order of a couples of ohms between each phase (U to V, U to W, V to W), and a very large value (Megohms) between any phase and ground/body/earth.

Can you check your voltmeter by measuring a known resistance you may have lying around?

1 Like

I think it was the setting I have the multimeter on thatā€™s making it look weird.

Yeah itā€™s in diode measurement mode, which is not correct.
You should put it in ā€œ200ā€ ohm mode for U to V / U to W / V to W measurement,
and 20M for U/V/W to body/earth

and plug the probes between ā€œĪ©ā€ and ā€œCOMā€

2 Likes

There is always a lot of confusion around here between us and Uk power.

I have been fighting a disconnect as soon as the spindle is turned on for months. It will only do it if I have a power cord hooked to the computer/tablet. I have tried 5 different computer setups.

All I can say is let me know what you find that fixes it and good luck.

1 Like

Just an update on my situation, I had to go and get a replacement dewalt router to get my machine at least cutting again. In the meantime, I ordered a shielded cable to connect the spindle to the vfd, ferrite rings for that cable, an emi filter for the outlet to the vfd and usb isolator. One question I have is how you go about mounting the usb isolator or do yall just have it free floating? I have some plastic that I could make a holder with stand offs if that would be ideal?

Always good to have redundancy, especially when it is a critical piece to making revenue for the business! :slight_smile:

Random thought to test, if your carbide motion controller is mounted on the Shapeokoā€™s frame (typical OEM location). Try testing if you get disconnect issues with the spindle unmounted, and not touching the frame (pretty sure the motion controller pcb grounds to the frame too - donā€™t know for certain anymore). Could help determine the parameters that you get your disconnect issues with out making your machine inoperable again and verify if any of the additional components bought help.

1 Like

I was thinking the same thing! I wont be able to have any down time until the weekend of the 12th at the earliest unfortunately but i will definitely keep yall posted as I hope all this helps someone else!

3 Likes

You guys donā€™t isolate your controllers? With aluminum fixture plates and steel core belts its pretty much necessary.

How do you go about ā€œisolatingā€ your controllers for your machines?

I put on a piece of 0.125 closed cell foam in-between. Controller heat management isnā€™t effected even after leaving it on for days.

Glad the Dewalt is working for you, no emi issues?

1 Like

Do you put the foam between the PCB and the enclosure or the enclosure and rail?

I have the aluminum bed and have not had any disconnects but I have not put steel core belts on yet.