Possible to do counter clockwise pocketing (climb milling)

Hi guys.

Is there a trick for climb milling a pocket? The latest version I downloaded has climb for contours(very cool). Cant figure out how to go counter clockwise for pockets.

1 Like

I suppose you have a reason but why? Climb cutting can cause problems because there is a lot of force cutting against the router rotation. There are definitely reasons to climb cut but a pocket would not seem a good place for a climb cut.

Please explain why you want to climb cut a pocket.

Here is some advice from a quick google search about climb cutting.

Why is climb milling not preferred?

Climb milling is not without its downsides, which include: Machines with minimal backlash are required for climb milling. Backlash and high forces lead to vibration and chatter, which degrades the surface finish. The cutter can suck the work peice into the cut and break the cutter or cause chatter.

1 Like

I’m cutting plastic. The pocket operation is creating long chips that get sucked back in. Also want to see the effect on tool life. My machine is very rigid with DC servo. I think that search quote is refering to manual mills or maybe machines with steppers and no feedback.

You could just draw the path & cut it with a contour (No Offset)…

2 Likes

The pocket is very odd shaped.

This morning I tried taking less stepover and increasing the feed rate. Makes better chips that clear out of the way. The chip problem is solved.

Now i wish I could do a linear ramp in on the pocket so I could take a deeper cut. The first cut of the pocket with full engagement of the cutter is about maxed out with the increased IPM.

It’s looking like you made need a more capable CAM software. Vectric Vcarve Pro does both of what you are currently asking for.

Im definitely pushing the limits of the softeware. I really like the CC and its an incredible value. I think when I move up its probably going to be fusion. Its hard to justifiy the price becuase I wouldn’t use it that much. I wish fusion would just sell it outright. Even a couple grand and free updates for a year, then pay for updates after 1 year or something. Would be better than a life long subscription.

If you’re willing to look at software in that price range, things to consider:

• Rhino3D
  • Moment of Inspiration

Plenty of reasons to use Climb, even on “less rigid” machines. In aluminum, I’d basically only want to climb cut. Chip formation is a lot easier for a desktop CNC when the cutter is turning into the material from that direction.

Unfortunately at this time, Climb vs Conventional cutting is only an option on Contour toolpaths. I would recommend petitioning our programmer to add it to Pocket as well, I don’t think it would be that difficult.

One intermediate workaround that’s less involved than Tod’s suggestion would be to cut a bunch of lines across your pocketed area to interrupt the cut and chip formation. I’ve done that for foam and plastic before to force the stringy bits to be much shorter and less likely to get wrapped around the spindle.

4 Likes

My arsenal of CAM software contains Fusion360, SheetCAM, Vcarve Pro, Lightburn and MeshCAM.
Each have there quirks, but all have there own redeeming feature. I’ll use Fusion for the majority of my design work, but if the project requires simple 2.5d work, I’ll generate the gcode with Vcarve. 3D machining, I’ll let Fusion take care, except for the artsy stl. files. For those I find MeshCAM generates a toolpath WAY faster than Fusion360. With the exception of Fusion360, all my software is paid for. I got in early with Fusion, so it’s subscription is auto renewed to a credit card,

1 Like

Lots of software packages to look at. Vcarve seem interesting.

Not sure if the CC folks read every post? Unrelated to climb milling… It would really help workflow if the software didn’t jump to the top of the tree every time you enable or disable a toolpath group.

If your controller is GRBL I recommend you take a look at GRBLGRU. It is free, very easy to learn, has many integrated machining functions and different types of entry into the piece, acts as a controller, simulator, simple 2D and 3D (STL) editor and has a very powerful tool for creating customized macros. I use it regularly and for 2.5 D work it is truly unbeatable in terms of speed and ease of execution. I hope I have given you some more input.
https://www.grblgru.com/

1 Like

Climb cuts do leave a much better finish. Climb cutting would only be recommended on a ball screw type machine. What type of machine do you have.

I’m considering vcarve but not sure if it will work on my S5P 4x2 and what’s involved in getting it to work properly.

Vectric has included a post-processor for our machines since v8.5 — just select the appropriate post-processor.

1 Like

Gerber Sabre 4x8 converted with centroid controls. Not ball screw, but def up to the task. Aprox 1500watt dc brushed servos.

1 Like

Thank you. I may download the free trial and give it a spin.