Potential Safety Issue - BitRunner v1.0 Danger

I’m not sure if this has been covered, and I’m not complaining, mostly just posting this as a CYA/liability issue for C3D and a Danger Will Robinson issue for end users.

Basically, if your machine (S3XXL) is off, but the Bitrunner v1.0 is set to “on” and you have your Bitrunner plugged into vacuum (festool/fein) that auto senses when turn on based on current flowing… then you manually jog you machine by hand you can actually get the router to turn on. If you’re confused by what I’m explaining here is a video.

Now the danger part here is if you were to grab the Z carriage by the spindle body to get it to jog move it and then have the bit start to spin while holding. Pretty stupid, but we’ve all done it I’m sure… given that the machine is off here it’s a bit unintuitive. Anyway BOLO BOLO.

With my xxl off and manually moving Shapeoko the Bitrunner blinks red. I have never had the router come on. Suppose it emf from steeper motors energizing controller.

1 Like

Same as @gdon_2003 said, but does this happen when the switch is in the Auto position?

When I’m finished using the machine I always switch everything off, and it’s not often I would physically move the gantry anyway, but I agree this is somewhat dangerous.

Thanks for letting us know.

3 Likes

My BitRunner is left in Auto all t he time. I dont change it when I power down my system. However I do have a magnetic switch that shuts down power to the Shapeoko and the router and that may be why my router does not come on when the gantry is moved and the red light lights up.

So if you are concerned about the router powering on check out my post: Emergency Stop and Magnetic SW

Nothing happens when in the Auto Position you would need CM or other sender sending a M3/M4 command to have it happen in Auto.

That’s interesting, I’m not entirely sure how your switch would stop this from happening. Am I alone here in that I can get the spindle to turn on?

PS this happens to me regardless if bitrunner is plugged into a vacuum or not I was just describing the full video.

When moving the gantry or other axis by hand the back EMF can power up the board, and anything plugged into the board like the bitrunner. Best practice is of course to turn off the router/vacuum any other attachments before you do that. I couldn’t tell from the video, is your router plugged in to your festool? And did it come on at the same time as the vacuum?

3 Likes

Hi @Jorge, no what I was trying to show is that the c3d spindle is plugged into bitrunner and bitrunner is plugged into the vac. But yes everything turns on at the same time, router because of the issue and vacuum because it detects current flowing.

But it doesn’t matter if I just plug bit-runner into the wall outlet and eliminate the vac from the equation the same thing happens

It has never made any sense to me, why the board design doesn’t account for this. Perhaps there’s an explanation besides “that’s just how it has always been done”?

3 Likes

My master switch is magnetic. When on and electricity goes off when the power is restored the machine is off unless I turn the switch on and it magnetically latches on. My router is on a power strip that is controlled by mag switch. So when moving the emf from stepper motors is energenizing the controll and the BitRunner blinks red but there is no power to turn on the router for me. If I had separate power to the BitRunner then my router would likely turn on because Bitrunner is likely sending on signal to router in your case. Unplug Bitrunner when manually moving Shapeoko manually or turn BitRunner to off position.

This is the kind of stuff that makes me never trust my spindle on/off or rpm to be controlled by a switch I don’t physically turn on myself. I want an on / off switch and a speed dial safe and simple.

It does. The motor drivers have fly back diodes, and we also added diodes for back emf suppression. We continue to add protection with every iteration of the board.

5 Likes

Hmm, it looks like my comment on here, “What’s bothering me, though, is no one from Carbide3D can be bothered to respond to a potentially dangerous situation!” was censored.

EDIT: If anyone’s interested, you can download your postings on this forum, including the deleted ones, quite easily. Just go to your Account, Activity, Download All.

I suppose it was considered that the post did not quite match the rules. Anyway Jorge did answer now.
I won’t re-edit your latest post but someone else might. Help us keep this forum a friendly place, it’s ok to disagree or express discontent, but everyone’s perception of what is “civil vs. vulgar” is a little different, so it’s better to err on the side of caution

3 Likes

Without getting into specifics of your design, how is it that these suppression systems aren’t working? This doubt is what has kept me using only the manual router switch.

Can you define a board iteration that has enough suppression so the manual movement of the gantry won’t “power up the board?”

Rules? We have rules? :smiley: That link to “rules” can’t be made to work.

Ha, that rules post does not seem to be visible to everyone. Here’s the content:

We put this forum up to give our users a place to gather, trade ideas, show off, and help each other out.

First and foremost, this is not the primary support channel for our users. If you need help, shoot us an email at support@carbide3d.com and we’ll get your problem taken care of.

We’ve seen a lot of online forums become toxic, unfriendly places to be, and that is something we are actively working to avoid.

Here are the rules:

1. Don’t be a jackass.
  2. Don’t be a jackass.
  3. Avoid gratuitous negativity.
  4. Real names are required.
  5. Be civil. Don’t say things you wouldn’t say in a face-to-face conversation.
  6. No commercial activity.

We’ve got our fingers hovering over the delete button for those who ignore the rules :slight_smile:

1 Like

Maybe they don’t apply to everyone? :slight_smile:
I like rules 1 and 2…but it just comes so naturally! :slight_smile:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.