Pro Maintenance Kit

You know you would think this kit would also add the band clips that they route through. Just installed the bands the other day and the machine still skips/stutters whatever when wasting wood. Found out when tightened I could still pull up band so when tight it was still loose. WTF? How do we go about getting these or a better alternative?
CNC clips

1 Like

After further reflection and after my short stint going overseas in a few weeks I’ll be ordering the Onefinity. The clip broke trying to make it tight this thing is a pos.

One of the members on this forum did come up with a solution for adjusting the belts, and it works pretty good.

1 Like

Hey Wade, you could write into support and we can figure out what might be going on. I imagine the clips weren’t included in the kit as it would increase cost, and it’s not something that would normally need to be replaced.

1 Like

To expand on what @Radiation noted — it looks to me as if your belt anchor is bent up, so that its more acute than it ought to be — if straightening it out isn’t an option, we’ll gladly send you a replacement, just let us know about the difficulty at support@carbide3d.com — we can’t help if you don’t ask for help.

I know Will customer service is usually spot on but these clips are a joke. They bend real easy and when you attempt to bend them back they get weaker. One broke all together after this photo and since they are so cheap they should be part of the maintenance kit. Why don’t they have serrations or some kind of bite to them to keep the bands from slipping?

At a guess, serrations weren’t included because they would wear at and abrade the belts if not machined smooth (which would be expensive) and installed in alignment w/ the belts (which would impinge on adjustment since the belts would only move in 2mm increments to match their pitch).

I would think bending the clips is a rarity. I have a pro, my belts are snappy however I do error on maybe a bit loose. I have seen broken stepper motor shafts and assumed that might have been from too tight of belts.
For me, the setup kind of uses serration to hold the belts in place. The belt goes around and down through clip and then folds back underneath itself. I left a bit of a tail and interlocked the top and bottom teeth together. Tightening the clip provides downward pressure holding the teeth together which then in turn prevents the belt from slipping. I take care to make sure these teeth stay interlocked when I tighten the clip. I assume this is the key in keeping the belt from slipping.

I can see that if the clip bent a bit. it then could not apply pressure to keep the top and bottom teeth locked together. Also if the teeth were not interlock at the time the clip was tightened, then they could now slip by one another.

In the picture the clip looks badly bent and the nose can no longer push downward pressure to keep the teeth locked. I can only assume at one time it was over tightened and the problem started to cascade.

Check the belt to see if the teeth have been torn off. I am not sure if that is bits of rubber I see in the picture. If the teeth are missing it cant interlock any more. When you get new clips, you can shuffle the belt to get to good teeth again if it still long enough.

I have never had a problem however I only cut wood, other materials may put more force on the belts. Contrary to some other tightening methods, I just need the belts tight enough so they make a nice slap sound when plucked.

Just as an FYI, I have thought of interlocking the teeth, then adding 2 wraps of electrical tape around the tail and the main belt just to insure the teeth stay interlocked when I tighter the screw. In the past I have had to try again as the belt became unlocked with itself when tightening.

The good news is it just a clip and not a stepper motor shaft :slight_smile:

I hope this helps

3 Likes

They did bend up I figured after almost two years they said no mas. The only time I messed with them was this past week with new bands as like I said the cuts were slipping. Got with support and they replied for four $46 haha I said no thanks.

Wow and that is in US dollars, plus taxes and shipping I assume :slight_smile: Ouch
I guess we know why they are not in the Maintenance Kit :slight_smile:

Did I say $46 oops they are $48 plus shipping $56. haha they’re nuts.

Do you have a 3d printer?

2 Likes

I do I was thinking about doing something looking for ideas

I’m currently using those on my Pro4 XXL. No issues. It made tuning the belts easy.

Did you stick with the design from the files posted in that thread? I just read through it and there was lots of discussion about changes but it wasn’t clear if any were really incorporated.

I used the one that Neil posted in Sept '22, post #21

1 Like

I don’t have a 3D Printer but I have some 3/4” HDPE. Wonder if I can mill the pieces out of that.

I think the only thing I changed was maybe a slight rotation of the hex hole for appearance.
I started on a new version with the belt sitting lower, but I don’t think I ever tested it. I still have the originals installed as well.

I can send files in any format. Probably easy enough to make by hand. Just use piece of belt to help lock the belt in.
I may revisit these soon. The idea was to make them as easy as possible, but they’re definitely not perfect.
I can also print a set… Send me a PM

Thanks. I will give it a go next time I decide to check the belts. If I can’t make them I have a buddy with a 3D printer I can harass. He made one of the Bitzero holders for me some time back.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.