Problem with new Sweepy Dust boot

Sure. Here are 4 slightly different views. If this doesnt help, let me know what else you would like to see while the bit is still in the machine. The bit is a Whiteside .125" spiral upcut. If you look closely you can see the bit sticking out beyond the bristles about 1/8". At the end of. the 3/4" cut the bristles are quite compressed but it works through the entire stroke of the cut with zero visible debris.

IMG_0792
IMG_0793
IMG_0794
IMG_0795

3 Likes

HDZ mounted, got some oomph behind it.

Possible either the stock Z or a loose Z not up to the task of compressing a fresh bristle Sweepy?

Might help to massage them a bit, break in by hand to show them who da boss.

5 Likes

@Luke yes, I tried that after spotting the post from Winston about removing the brushes, but just didn’t quite fit do to the clamping in this situation. However, did some cutting with a 0.25 end mill yesterday, with the bit just below the brushes, and Sweepy performed flawlessly!

3 Likes

The sweepy is a decent design, but needs some tweeking. I have 2 other dust boots, suckit and another version that I do like but it doesn’t have a nice directional for the air. One things I am looking at on the sweepy design is the brissels are too short and not soft enough.

I know from experience on other dust boots when I was running the belt drive Z, if the brissels where to stiff it would mess with the Z and make it skipp. I now run the new HDZ Zaxis and don’t see that problem but I am using a soft brissel dust boot.

The sweepy has potential but it could be so much better, soft and longer brissels. I would like to see were we can buy different bottom for the sweepy. I would prefer to just changes the brissels, but they are probably glued it.

We the sweep get down to a decent dept, it works great, but needs a little attention

Oh yea, forgot to mention that the diameter of the hole for the hose, is an odd size. It doesn’t fit the stand shop vac hoses, the small diameter. Luckily I had some strange adapter that fit it, it my buck of adapters. I don’t know where I got it but it worked. Would be nice if they send a adapter to fit the standard small hose you get on shop vac.

1 Like

make them soft bristles, not the hard one like you have now. I have seen on the old z axis with the belt, it can make it skip Z. I can contest to that, I was pulling my hair out, and when I removed a hard bristle dust boot off, it didn’t do it. Do fine hair bristles, please

Giving the Sweepy a haircut might help. I know in the past on other dust boots folks have made, trimming the bristles helped. Don’t make them shorter, thin them out by selectively trimming. I’d imagine 15 minutes with a small set of nail trimmers would work out. Another thing if you use a CAD/CAM tool that allows ramping instead of straight vertical plunging that would help too. Just some random thoughts, maybe worth a try.

Dan

1 Like

It’s based off a 35/36mm port commonly used on most power tools and Fein/Festool dust extractors.

1 Like

Since in North America, Fein/Festool are somewhat of a high end product sold at a premium, that most of us will/cannot afford, it is a bad choice for a budget CNC. At least you should include an adaptor.

5 Likes

35/6 mm is also the same size used my numerous power tool brands for dust extraction.

An adaptor to what size… We have to draw a line at some point and at $30 sweepy is $60 cheaper than anything else out there.

4 Likes

Well I know dust collection system have all kinds of “standards” going all the way to 6in. For portable systems, 1 7/8" and 2 1/2" are the standard sizes for most North American brands; 2 1/2 being the most popular for portable shopvacs used by wood workers. Just a hint, none of them use metric sizing.

Yes, but another consideration is footprint — the 35mm port on the Sweepy allows for a smaller footprint, which if nothing else, is less obscuring of the view — I was able to rotate mine off to the left w/o impeding movement of the machine on my stock axis (need to re-check once I get my HDZ configured).

Yeah but if it is incompatible with the regular dust collection most use, it is kind of useless isn’t it or should the people buy a $500 dust collection for a $60 dust boot?

1 Like

A $5 adapter seems a more reasonable compromise:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000WAAFXA

The most important consideration here is that we designed it to be produced at a price where we could afford to give it away with new machines — making it smaller saved on production and shipping costs so that we could afford to put them in boxes with new machines.

4 Likes

I wished I had held off buying my $120 dust boot for a week that’s when Carbide3d released the Sweepy and my $120 dust boot didn’t come with an adapter either! I had to wait for 6 or seven weeks for mine to arrive, something about they didn’t know they were out of brushes and still sent me the product without the listed brush they offer!
I fortunately have a 3d printer and printed my own adapter but for the $90 difference I could have bought one or paid someone to print it for me!

I did mention that an adapter would be a solution but regarding the size, the difference between 35mm and 1 7/8 is about 3/8in so it would not have much if any material effect on the size of Dusty. If you meet NA demand, you will cause issue in the international market so an adapter is probably best.

The cost difference isn’t based on the difference in diameter, but on the circumference and volume of plastic — also, the Sweepy’s pack smaller because of the angled shape which reduces their volume — shipping is getting to be a major cost consideration.

Thats where I got my adapter, I do have a Fein shop vac just for that purpose. I don’t use the hose though because I created a bench with dust devil and 4 inch ports. I got lucky. I am in agreement there should be a adapter included. Those Fein and festools most people can’t afford a $350 to 500 shop vac.
I do recommend the Fein shop vac, but they are expensive, it is so quiet, I love the vacuum.

The hose I end up using on my adapter was a ridgid 1-7/8 homedepot part number VT1720, but I had to use my Fein adapter to make it work. I was using my 2 1/2 inch on my previous dust collector. I was ok replacing but some may have it setup where you can’t.

Adapter is needed for off the shelf shop vacs you get at home depot and lowes. Plus as I indicated the bristles need to lighter and longer.

Thanks for taking our comments, and by the way love my HDZ

Would have been slick to make use of both the ID and the OD of the interface of the Sweepy.

ID fit some hoses, and OD fit range of others. Could possibly notch the rib on the Sweepy and see if that pans out as is. Otherwise a simple glued on collar could make up the interference difference.

2 Likes

installed mine today (and removed my existing setup) and ran a small-ish 3D carving project.

I must say I’m not a fan yet. My previous setup had very long soft bristles, and clearly sweepy doesn’t yet… result was MANY chips everywhere…
To be fair I realized that the suction of my vac wasn’t what it should be (clog in the hose and vac not set to max) but in my previous setup that was still fine, Sweepy just wants more suction…

I also had the side of sweepy crash into the stock in the middle of the operation… first crash in quite some time. Sweepy has a pretty large Z impact while being very wide.

Now not all is lost, there is most certainly potential. After all I have a machine that is able to turn a concept in 3D into reality as long as I can convince a computer to model it… and I think I’d make an insert out of maybe 2 pieces of 1/4" thick wood…
the top piece would be basically the size of current sweepy bottom, to seal up most of the area under the router, and have a whole only slightly larger than the collet
(and a few holes to not restrict air flow for the router cooling)
2nd layer would be much narrower where it counts (under the router) while somehow making airflow magic … need to play with this some more… once I get something that works I’ll post the design files

(from https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3718965 )

2 Likes