Problems with v-bit corners

I can’t help but think you’d be looking pretty good with a half inch diameter tool at this point. Can’t help with smoothness, but the right sized cutter would clear out the triangular prominence and the (directly related) incursions into the square form on the surface (not sure if that’s what you mean by “consistent surface shape”).

I know these issues can be maddening but I’ve heard it said that if you can’t spot the defect from 10ft away, it does not exists. Maybe for 95% of V carving work it will be invisible and with just a bit of sanding it will be perfect even for a close-up.

1 Like

The same thing happens with a half inch bit - and yes with the full depth cuts on these small shapes, the half inch bit leaves only a small nub so it doesn’t look as bad. however the resulting height/width of the shape is no longer accurate, it’s oversized. Not to mention the corners of flat depth toolpaths look terrible no matter what.

I realize these are simple shapes - but I’m testing with these to reduce complexity, because I’ve already had the problem in a more complex job and it made it impossible to get decent results. The problem seems so tiny and inconsequential on these test shapes, but imagine this issue manifesting on a more complicated v-carve job with lots of sharp angles and many corner clearing cuts.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.