Projects and Learning with Kevin of Carbide 3D

Really like those barrel hinges!

Me too. Super fun to work with. Will not be their last appearance in a project.

I just saw the new youtube video you posted and that reminded me of the box’s I made a couple weeks ago using those barrel hinges. I’ve used them quite a bit in the past for gift box’s just for a different kind of look. When you shop for those be sure to check ebay along with amazon, the prices can be all over the place.

If one is too cheap to buy hinges, it’s pretty straight-forward to integrate them and use a bamboo skewer:

8 Likes

Very clean looking box @WillAdams, care to share that file?

Sliding lid version at:

and it’s

(and no one as yet has downloaded the files)

1 Like

Somehow I missed this one, Thanks!

Well, almost no one. :sunglasses:

1 Like

Hey griff, what’s the end plan for that aluminum setup? Is it going to stay mounted on the mdf as it is?

This is so true. I have twice gotten an order from something that I made and gave away and I have only been doing this since i received my Shapeoko in September of last year.

1 Like

Yes…and no.

That was my first attempt at a fixture plate for my HDM. It was secured to the t-tracks.

In process now is a .875” one-piece plate that will be secured directly to the HDM frame. Story over here Is milling your own fixture plates worth it? - #59 by WillAdams

1 Like

On the heels of @Griff saying this was his “First attempt”
How many Iterations is it taking you all to nail down a new design or method?
Do you have an example to show??

My personal number for most projects is generally 3.

2 Likes

2-3 is my average with a few ones in there. The machines and software are so much better than they used to be, that my average has gone down over time.

1 Like

I’d say your “Rule of 3” is pretty spot on. Generally.
While I’ve nailed some new projects first go, and made a dozen changes to others.
Most take about 3 iterations to get the kinks worked out.

Doing my first project using CC tiling. Let’s see how that goes. :smiley:

1 Like

I surprised myself with this folding step stool, got it on the first try. A rough model in solidworks, ran the extracted dxf files through Vcarve Pro, adding the squiggles there, and generating the gcode from Vcarve. Now, to just clean up the finish.

23 Likes

Beautiful work, well done.

I’d bet a few souls watching this thread would appreciate a step by step. I know I would.

This first attempt at a knife block is warming my feet. A request I just wasn’t happy with.

9 Likes

Looks like maple to me

1 Like

Ok. I feel like this has some legs.
Personal errors have made it necessary to make a 100% new second version, but there are some design choices and thoughts getting worked out here.

2 Likes

9 Likes

An update on the board:
After as much lightening as I could come up with, I thought “Why not have Winston bead blast it”
One day later:

7 Likes