QUIET air blast setup?

I don’t think so. I had to pick the nozzle diameter carefully to get a decent air flow (at 0.5mm instead of 0.3mm I could already feel the difference), so I would be surprised if two or more nozzles would work, but then again I’m clueless when it comes to CFM & pressure things…

1 Like

“Sounds” like you are using one of their 1hp compressor’s in a “Sound Proof Cabinet”, right?

“Sounds” like you are using one of their 1hp compressor’s in a “Sound Proof Cabinet”, right?

Yes, a CAT-8010SPC.

mark

1 Like

Guidance from California Air Tools:
Every air tool has an air consumption requirement.
This is stated for example as 2.20 CFM @ 90 PSI for the air tool to work properly. 
A. CFM - (cubic feet per minute) is what air volume runs your tool.
B. PSI - (pounds per square inch) is the pressure of the flow of air.
This will help you determine the air delivery (CFM) you need from your air compressor.
For example the California Air Tools 8010 air compressor will produce 2.20 CFM @ 90 PSI.
If you plan on using an air tool or machine on a continuous basis, it is a good idea to multiply the CFM” x 2 to get a continuous CFM rating for the tool or machine.
Most all air tools and machines are rated for intermediate usage (not continuous).
Always consult the air tool or machine manufacturer for the correct CFM requirement.

I was unable to find CFM requirements for the “CNC Router MQL System PKG”, but do remember seeing 90 PSI somewhere. Maybe @mbellon will share what the operator’s manual recommends?

1 Like

I was not able to find CFM requirements for the “CNC Router MQL System PKG ”, but do remember seeing 90 PSI somewhere. Maybe @mbellon will share what the operator’s manual recommends?

2 CFM @ 85-95 PSI. The CFM may be much lower… it depends on what settings one uses. I found that I use much less than 2 CFM for most jobs.

One option is a solenoid. This allows a CNC controller that is so enabled to turn the lubrication on and off via the M07, M08, and M09 G codes. You’ll need to let them know the proper voltage. My machine uses 110 VAC. YMMV.

M07 - mist on
M08 - flood on
M09 - lube off

Many CNC controllers have M07 and M08 simply throw a relay, closing a circuit. What happens is up to the configuration.

If you’re going to want to switch lubricant (e.g. plastic and aluminum), I would suggest calling them and placing the order that way. They offer an option with a ball valve on the lubricant container. One then buys two of them. Close the valve, switch, and open the valve.

mark

2 Likes

Are lube on/off, lube type selection, and airflow on/off all simultaneously supported? (as options?)

Are lube on/off, lube type selection, and airflow on/off all simultaneously supported? (as options?)

On/off is under G code control. What happens is up to you… how you set up the MagLube. You can get air only and air/lube via a simple settings. The rate of each is also tunable. There are numbered dials such that one can determine their “numbers” and know what works in their shop.

Lube selection is manual, hence the ball valve option. Each container has a ball valve. One turns off the ball vavle, pops off one container and replaces it with the other, then turns the ball valve open. Takes 10-15 seconds, tops. I bought a steel piping “flange” and two cheap adapters at Home Depot. I screw the unused one into the flange so it stays upright and out of the way.

I tend to not use air only - I want the best finish - but it’s easy to select. YMMV.

Remember when using air blast - with of without cutting fluid - to use some form of dust head. It is important to prevent the particles and swarf from gumming up the works. I’ver seen expensive machines chewed up - major repairs - from air blasted swarf. Nothing ruins your day like swarf in a spindle that costs $10K to repair. :frowning:

mark

1 Like

I guess that’s why some of the Italian spindles have pressurization ports.

I guess that’s why some of the Italian spindles have pressurization ports.

True, but air blast without a dust head causes particles to get into the spindle but also into “the works”… steppers, bearings, guides, gears, belts (if the machine uses them), and so forth.

Never use air blast to clean up a machine after a job. Use a vacuum, or brush and dust pan. Blowing stuff around exposes the the machine to nasty stuff “getting in the works”.

mark

3 Likes

Been using high pressure air blast to clean every machine I own… also running air without a suction head.

No issues yet :thinking:

2 Likes

Anyone who has been to machinist’s school has been taught to not use air blast for cleanup to literally centuries (yes, we’ve had mills for over 200 years). Do it with a $500K Haas or Datron machine and you could lose you job.

Especially today, with high speed spindles and High Speed Machining (HSM), we generate smaller and much high volume particles than ever before. They get into “the works” and do untold damage. They also mix with the grease and lubricants used to keep the machine running at its best… unnecessary wear and tear.

Obviously, softer materials (e.g. wood, plastics) will cause less problems than metals (6061, steel), and steel will do more damage than something softer. It’s best to avoid any possible problem and follow what has worked so well for so long; properly maintained mills from the 40s are still running in many places (after a refurbish).

mark

P.S.

Funny story. I was called to help with lost steps - bad parts - on a ShopBot. They use air blast to clean thing up, them vacuum up the floor after brooming together everything. I had them run a test pattern - squares and chevrons - and, sure enough, things were off. A quick check of the machine showed that everything looked fine… until I checked the drive gears and the rack. WOOD CHIPS! It took over a hour to move the machine around and get everything cleaned out. No more problems.

2 Likes

I understand what you are trying to say but these desktop machine aren’t built like big machines. On a shapeoko, if your control box is well protected, imo air blast is a great way to clean. Gone through hundreds on pounds of aluminum without issues. The Nomad has greased leads so it receives a little different cleaning treatment. The Bantam has coated leads and the only way to truly clean it is with air blast. Cut steel, aluminum, titanium, copper.

Just saying, desktop machines aren’t exactly like big machines. Hell, try to cut like a vmc and you’re gonna have issues lol.

Also rpm shouldn’t really be effecting much besides travel speeds. I’ve run quite a few hours with a 60,000 rpm spindle on an S3, probably one of the only ones that has. Ain’t no thing.

2 Likes

The Bantam has coated leads and the only way to truly clean it is with air blast. Cut steel, aluminum, titanium, copper

The only way? Obviously not since I (and many others) use plenty of desktop and larger machines too and never use air blast. :):rofl:

Blowing razor sharp swarf into the belts of a Shapeoko doesn’t lead to a long life. I’m not going to go into the air safety issues of blowing friable material dust around… it is very dangerous and for some people extremely dangerous.

The manual for one of my (small) machines (from Germany it happens) specifically discusses the issue, pointing out that with care, the useful lifetime of the machine can be 80K running hours before refurbishment.

mark

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.