Random carvings from Mike

Was going to ask if the boxes were designed for anything in particular, then I saw the pot leaf… excellent :yum:

sorry i forgot that write up. I cut the lake part, traced in illustrator, then i sand and shellac the lake bed. Like 3 or 4 coats of shellac. Then i fill with epoxy and let set for about 3 days. then i put it back on the machine and level it. then cut the roads and what nots. Stain and shellac.

1 Like

Excellent, I’m on the right track then as I intended to do exactly the same. Did you get that crystal clear transparency of the epoxy just from the surfacing operation on the machine or did you do anything extra (polishing, chemical, … ?)

I had to sand it down to like 4k grit then i just shellac’d over the whole thing french polish style. I did use a blue dye in the epoxy to make it darker the deeper it is. The picture does no justice.

1 Like

6 Likes

What kind of wood is that Grand Lake map done on Mike! Gorgeous job!!!

Also, what’s that first box? Is it a rosewood or rosewood burl? Gorgeous also!

All beautiful work!

The Grand Lake table was a cheap glued up pine board. And that box if its the red one is aromatic ceder, i just got lucky on the grain.

I myself am a newbie and having some problems with smaller lettering.
Did you cut the scripture reference from Corinthians with the centered cross at the top with t**he 60 degree vbit?**
Seems like I have to experiment like crazy with every new bit I get to see the result i want. I am printing smaller stuff as I get going and am having trouble with the lettering less than 1/4 inch.
Your stuff is awesome, inspiring.

Also, since I just injured my back taking pic of the blood moon and can’t hike right now or do much activity, I can still fiddle with cnc routing which is great for me.

about me:
shapeoko 3 xxl, suckit, dewalt 611, precise bits collets ultraprecision.
vcarve desktop 9.5, windows 10
Ultimate goal to get back to guitar building with cnc to take some of the drudgery out.

Creality ender 3 3d printer coming soon.

See https://wiki.shapeoko.com/index.php/Endmills#V-bits for some guidelines on relating feature size to endmill angle.

I use this almost exclusively on lettering. 60 deg 1541 . For little bitty text i use a 30 deg. Also its a v-carve tool path.

some nuts for my new t-track.

3 Likes

And a edge light project for a local cannabis farm. I didn’t have time to get many pics.

3 Likes

Some trays with inlay.

This one isn’t an inlay, but i did 50 of these bad boys.

8 Likes

Hidden hinge vape box thing.

7 Likes

Wow that is so awesome!! May I ask how long it took to carve out the round disks?

The Aztec Sun Stone tables?

Yes did the tool paths take forever? You are very talented, everything you have created looks very well made, very impressive work!

Really like the hidden hinges on the vape box are they sturdy? You order them online?

I know Rockler has those hinges on their website. I believe they’re called “barrel” hinges.

2 Likes

I think it was around 3 hrs. Thanks