Replacing the Nomad bed

I can’t speak for Derek - I’m just the messenger here - but my understanding is that the plate will be available separately and as a kit.

Really nice rocker clamps are also in the works but they will come a bit later than the plate.

Anybody know what size and length bolts/screws are used to secure the Nomad table? I haven’t taken it off yet. Thanks.

1 Like

Derek at High Tech Systems has the first prototype of the replacement bed ready for testing.

We’re looking for a test subject. The requirements are:

A) You own a Nomad 883.
B) You’re willing to replace the bed - and have the knowledge to do so.
C) You own the flip jig AND the vise. Ensure that they attach equally well to the old and new bed.
D) You will report back all of your experiences clearly via email. Pictures are expected.
E) Once the bed is proven acceptable, you’ll be one of the buyers.

If you meet the requirements, email me at mbellon@mac.com. The first person sending email that they meet the requirements and provides their name, address, phone number and private email address wins.

1 Like

M5 x12 low profile head stainless hex.
You should be able to just use the existing hardware

have you got your test subject yet?

I should’ve get one for free for providing the sources. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Yes! I am the test subject. Looking forward to receiving the bed and attempting to install it, etc.

I will report back (assuming it’s ok with Derek) with photos and the like. Watch this space…

1 Like

ok cool. tbh i’m not sure i would have been able to fit bed replacement and testing in with all the jobs i run on my machines

MrHume it is. Once we’ve got good testing data, the bed will go up for sale along with the existing accessories. Clamps will come soon after.

Testing is wrapping up. We’re a few weeks from being able to order the replacement bed, accessories and the new clamps.

2 Likes

Good timing. Like an idiot, I stripped one of my bolt holes. I have been securing 8x8" hardwood plates to cut out teether shapes, and I guess I cross threaded a hole and now it’s (almost) toast. I guess I half expected it to happen - I’ve gone through almost 200 wooden blanks so far.

As I say when I teach students - monkey tight, not gorilla tight. :smile:

The new bed looks really good. On can use the vise and flip jig plus use all of the accessories that Derek has available. There will also be a new item - rocker clamps - which all grabbing a piece of stock and holding it down.

With the clamps one doesn’t need a spoiler for the entire bed, only for what they are clamping.

Does anyone know if this bed upgrade will be compatible with the new Nomad Pro? I’ve got mine on order and I’m also interested but I’m not sure if the bolt pattern will be the same.

Carbide3D: Is the bed of the Nomad 883 Pro the same as the Nomad 883?

It looks the same…

@Darren, is the hole you stripped one of the M5 holes in the bed? If so, are you familiar with Helicoil thread repair kits? I have an M5 Helicoil kit (tap, inserts, insertion tool) that I used once about 35 years ago to repair a threaded hole in a nice bicycle frame, that I’d be willing to send you to use. It does take a little mechanical aptitude to use (drill and tap a straight hole, but installing the insert itself takes a little doing) but you’re welcome to the kit if you return the unused part… Or if you’d be willing to mail me the bed I’d be happy to repair the thread for you. I don’t know if that’s any cheaper for you than getting a replacement bed but it pains me to think about an unusable hole in an otherwise good piece…

Randy

Some photos of the prototype mounted in a Nomad (first time uploading photos, I apologize if they don’t get downsized) . I work just a few miles from Derek’s shop so I volunteered to mount and take some pics…

2 Likes

@Randy thank you so much for the offer - that’s very kind :grinning: . But since I live in Canada, the shipping would be expensive, customs would try to charge me taxes and duty, yada yada… but you got me thinking it may not be a bad idea to look into a tap set, since one of the reasons I got this machine was to learn, and it would be fun to learn how to tap a stripped hole.

All that said - Jorge said they can help me out, so that will probably be my best bet. And it will give me a spare bed to practice my tapping skills haha

And as soon as the table in the above pics is ready, I’m picking one up for sure. It looks awesome!!

Well, if tapping that stripped hole goes completely sideways, I’d be happy to TIG weld that hole closed and you can drill and re-tap. I’m in Vancouver.

Warren

1 Like

Drilling and tapping is fun! You can do it! Take up warba’s offer!

Just remember - use tapping fluid and once started keep going until it’s done.

1 Like

I just got email from Derek at High Tech Systems @ http://www.hightechsystemsllc.com

The sea-of-holes bed and all accessories - including the new rocker clamps - will be available the first week in November.

mark

P.S.

For those that are concerned, Apollo verified that bed of the Nomad 883 Pro is identical to the Nomad 883 - anyone receiving the newer system can use the sea-of-holes bed and accessories.