Router problems

I am now on my 3rd C3D router. I have about 7 hours in total on my 5 Pro. Router bearings are going. I just installed my 3rd router. I notice that the batch number on the routers are all the same. Has Carbide had a bad batch of routers? I am almost scared to start a job with the new router.

It’s a large batch, and there seems to be a bit of variability.

We will keep sending replacements under warranty until you get 12 months of usage and I think “Third time’s the charm.” has been the rule for folks, and usually the worst case is a third unit which works well, while the first replacement usually works for folks. Working out the statistical math on what percentage of bad units there are is left as an exercise for the reader.

1 Like

Why would you keep shipping from the same batch if you know there is a good possibility of problems. It is very frustrating as a customer to keep having problems. I would think it would be in the best interest of CC to have a happy customer from day one.
Not sure what you mean by reader working out statistics?

It’s a very small number of the batch which is bad — low enough that pulling and testing individual units isn’t really workable.

If one wished to make a statistical analysis, given a certain number of units it should be possible to do fancy math to determine what percentage are bad if it is probable that a second unit will be good, and almost certain if two units have been bad, that the third will be good.

I burnt up my router motor- brushes blew apart. So I ordered 2 replacements.
Got 3 hours out of one new motor, and the second new one started making noise after 15 minutes of run time.

A couple of considerations:

• it’s not really possible to “baby” a cut — that just leads to rubbing because the machine isn’t advancing enough to form a complete chip — feeds and speeds need to be adjusted in synch so as to maintain chipload, see:
  • avoid slotting — cutting a slot just as narrow as the tool results in near constant high tooling engagement which makes a cut far more difficult and results in awful noises — where possible avoid slotting and add geometry and cut as a pocket

and/or

and consider leaving a roughing clearance and taking a finishing pass.

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.