S5 Pro 4x4 Trials and Tribulations and Mods

After many years with a Shapeoko 3, I updated to the S5 Pro 4X4 with an 80mm 2.2Kw 220 Volt water cooled spindle. With this upgrade I made a few modifications to bring the unit to its full potential. This included a rugged stand to place the unit and a TTL control system to control the water pump, VFD, Carbide controller and vacuum. Along the path to perfection I was fought with a few problems with the machine. This included BitSetter issues, initialization failures at the top of the list . Carbide support was quick to respond and supplied several new replacement parts with no hassle. The great customer support was the main reason I went with Carbide 3D for the new unit.

Now that everything is up and running smoothly I thought I would post the trails and tribulations article of my experience. The full article can be found at Shapeoko 5 Project

2 Likes

Love the labeling on the keypad, such a simple thing, i should do that, iā€™m always pausing to remember which button does what (beyond the standard jogging).