Saturn Sky Buttress Protection Plates | Learning Soft Jaws

the saturn sky is a 2 seater roadster, now a discontinued relic of the saturn brand. its a fun little car, but parts are difficult to find.

the soft top has 2 buttresses that fold up to allow the reverse folding trunk to open, and as there are 2 retention pins that pass through the trunk, there are these chrome plates that protect the paint.

as you can see there is also in my case, some VERY sad & tired clearbra, which I removed, and in the process needed to remove the plates. I had planned to remove these and powdercoat them black, but figured while i removed it, i could go about creating a reproduction to sell on Etsy if other people were interested. (someone who purchased something mentioned wanting some as theirs were very pitted, due to weather)

I started off with some 3D printed mockups (and a magnetic cover that could be used when the top is down)

originally I used square stock since thats what I had on hand.

side 2 with a lovely little hat.

using the amazon touch probe to set the origin in the center of this hole

my first prototype with a razor sharp edge.

my second prototype with a sketchy 3d printed fixture
the second half of said sketchy fixture

a better view of where this part lives on the car.

my 2nd prototype in place

(video of how the buttress works)

a test soft jaw out of HDPE just to see if the fitment would work with a finished part

soft jaw side 1 attempt out of aluminum

both soft jaws prior to finalizing the fitment on a finished part. (also peep the mini air nozzle for clearing off parts. Im working on 3d printing a bracket to hold the air-blast nozzle)

and the car these parts go on. hopefully i should be able to fire up and get the other part made later on this week.

16 Likes

Nice work. I have a 2003 Thunderbird and my engine cover plastic hold down bolts had one of the two missing. I made some out of oak and tapped it with a metric tap. They look great and like you the hold downs are no longer available. This is a prototype and I remade them with advanced vcarve. The prototypes were done before advanced vcarve was available. I dont have a picture of the newer ones I made. I made a holding jig to hold them down. Mine are just wood but would look good in alum.

My Thunderbird is an eye catcher with it all polished up.

I love a convertible. I need a new set of tires and have to buy Z rated. The Thunderbird can go 140 MPH. Dont ask me how I know that.

4 Likes

nice!!!

yeah the only thing I don’t care for about this car is the fact that you cant find any hardtops for it. otherwise I love it.

and yeah tires for this thing arent cheap. I just put a a set of michelin ps4s on the new wheels i picked up. my wallet was complaining lol.

Well, you have a mechanical shop assistant — perhaps you could make a hard top?

(here’s hoping that retirement will include building a garage/shop, and getting a convertible as a project car (not going to mention the make/model I want 'cause everyone would laugh), and building a sailing canoe/kayak, and buying a bandsaw — probably not in that order)

3 Likes

haha i do have plenty of robots, so far the only thing missing to complete that project is a 3D scanner (and the time to actually model a full hardtop)

1 Like

I know a guy that wets himself when he see one of these. He has three.

2 Likes

that is a goofy lookin thing lol. pretty neat though!

What a strange looking moped :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

A little more mainstream than that, but not by much — here’s a hint, mine (not a convertible) was rated at 55 MPG when I bought it new (only one of two new cars I’ve ever owned).

1 Like

clearly this piece of stock is not what the jaws will hold, only a small slice of it, but finally got some round stock to make the accompanying pair to the first part ive already made.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.