Scaling on import

I am running build 431, did 427 come out after? I am not sure I have much hope that an open source software would drive the design and CAD softwares to follow.

431 came out after 427, and should have the same behavior.

Inkscape makes most of the SVGs which get published to Wikimedia and Wikipedia — it’s a de facto standard which will be hard to ignore.

@4Lester I’m not sure if it’s actually gcode but I was referring to whatever CC has done with the svg once it has imported it. I know what you see, and enlarge, is no longer a true scalable vector because, as stated, it enlarges as segments which give a faceted versus smooth path. As Will suggests, Inkscape will output at proper scale; at least it did when I tried it a year ago. Now that Affinity Designer also does, you may want to give it a look; it’s relatively inexpensive with good features and no subscription.

@WillAdams Whoa! It’s a cure! Designer svgs appear, via a quick test anyhow, to now import at proper scale. Why wasn’t this on the front page of the Times? Thanks.

On the scaling being inconsistent — this happens due to rounding errors. Usually you can resolve it by scaling up first, to an appropriate scale, then scaling down.

With the latest build (431) I am also now having issues with the scaling (down) when importing SVGs drawn in Illustrator CS6 / running Mac OSX 10.11.6 (old software but still resisting Adobe CC :wink:

I make printing plates with my shapeoko so its paramount each plate / colour lines up so potentially this is a big problem. As advised in the thread I always have imported any shapes inside a box that matches the stock so they are nor scaled up or down.

For now I have gone back to my older version (316) which works still works fine without problem. While I respect you have to design your software for the latest systems it would be great if the new versions still worked with my dated workflow.

1 Like

Hi, I’m new to CC and Shapeoko, but not cnc work or design as I owned a large Pacer HD cnc for over 12 years before downsizing my business. I have now sold the Pacer, as I head towards retirement. I purchased a Shapeoko XXL to muck about with in my home workshop. Here’s my problem (and it seems to be a problem that many have, with no definitive answer) I work in Rhino3d (always have done) I mainly work with 2D drawings. So my workflow with CC now seems to be “Design in Rhino3D export to Ai convert file to SVG export to CC” This what happens: for a test I draw a basic 2d rectangle in Rhino3d 101mm X 23mm, then export it to Ai. In Ai it is still 101mm X 32mm convert to SVG and export into CC and it’s now 75.75mm X 24mm??? Any Idea’s for a quick and simple resolve? Also a tool in CC for measuring would have been so helpful. I’m a Windows user. Kindest regards, Mike.

1 Like

Hi @Woodspoiler ,

Welcome to the community!

@WillAdams is the vector guru around here. Until he wakes up, does this thread help?

It seems like if you use the latest version of Carbide Create (v464), use “Export” rather than “Save” in AI, and possibly set DPI to 96 in the settings (I don’t have AI, I wouldn’t know if it’s possible), you should be getting the correct dimensions upon import.

EDIT: @Bwood34 seems to be using Rhino a lot too, so maybe he can help you too.

1 Like

Hi Julien, and many thanks for the quick reply and advise, I appreciate it. I am going to try your suggestion and see what happens, if I get the correct results, I’ll report back and share my findings so others can see how I/we did it. Again, many thanks. Mike

1 Like

hi @Woodspoiler , I’m looking, time to do a little check and explain.

1 Like

welcome to the community.

you can export in DXF, but the curved parts are badly taken into account in CC. ( the curves are in polyline, facets…)
So if you want, I advise you to export in SVG.

I’ll explain to you how I proceed to keep the scale of the drawing.
There may be other solutions…

1.Selects the objects (drawing) to be exported

2.File/export selected objects

3.In the export window, choose SVG

4.a new window opens

And that’s where you have to be careful.
I choose a custom window size, a little bigger than my drawing.
You have to put all the units in mm ( or for you in inch), and put the drawing to scale (1mm on paper=
1mm in the model).

if you do this right, normally no worries in CC.

5.in cc, create your stock

6.and import your SVG file.

if you have any other problems, let me know.

and sorry about my bad English…

VIVIEN

1 Like

rhino is a very good software, and i’m learning every day with it. right now i’m on the grasshopper, i’m just starting to learn, there’s very good things to do with it, for cn. i can’t wait to be able to make nice 3d shapes :wink:

1 Like

Hi Vivien, and many thanks for this, I’m sure it is going to work fine, so I’m going to have a go later today and see if I can get it right. I’m in the U.K. (Essex). so MM for me not inches. Many thanks again, reagrds Mike.

1 Like

If you’re working in 3D, why not export in 3D?

You should be able to export an STL and use a 3rd party CAM tool such as MeshCAM or pyCAM or FreeMill — alternately, isn’t there a CAM option within Rhino3D?

https://mecsoft.com/rhinocam/

Hi William, and thanks for the message. I do most of my work in 2D (at least 90%) and a small percentage in 3D. Therefore it was important for me to get my old Rhino 2d files into CC in the correct scale (I have a library over 12 years worth of files that were created in Rhino3d V3) I do own a licenced copy of Rhino cam, but again this is a very old version as I brought it all those years ago when I brought Rhino3d. I also have Cut3d, V-carve Pro, Photo carve and Adobe Ai (all software that I purchased when I had my company). On the 2D front, I have solved the problem with help from this forum. I downloaded a copy of Affinity and with the aid of Adobe Ai I’m now getting excellent results. I now have a virtually seamless workflow for 2D work using Rhino3d, Adobe Ai and Affinity and then finally into CC. At some point soon I’ll add to the thread to show how I did it for others who may have the same problem when using old software titles. As for the 3d work, I can play around with that and see what happens, and I’m sure it will be fine. Again, Many thanks William. Regards, Mike

rhinocam is a paid function, in addition to rhino.

after, exporting in 3d in STL, it works very well, I did it several times in CC.
but I think @Woodspoiler wanted to export in 2d, as I understand it…

no cam option directly with rhino 3d. but paid modules.

On the other hand there are possibilities to create very interesting geometries with grasshopper.

when I have interesting projects, I will share them.

1 Like

My description was on rhino version 6. And if you only have version 3, it’s not supposed to be the same at all…
but you tried it anyway?

Yes, I found out. My version is so old it did not have any of the “Save” menus as your new Version 6. I’ve only just paid for the new Shapeoko XXL, so in a few months time when I have funds available, I will upgrade my version 3 of Rhino to the latest V6 release. However, I grew up on Rhino and know V3 inside out, and I must say it is a very solid piece of software that has served me well for many years, and in all those years it never crashed!!!. As I said I will carry on supporting Rhino and buy and upgrade soon. However, Vivien, your advise was very welcome. Mike

2 Likes

I am using Affinity Designer, as well. I continue to look for a set up to have SVGs saved in the proper scale, so they import into CC correctly, but have not found the magic incantation, yet.

For me, I have the document pixel set to 300ppi in Affinity 2. When I export, at least the things I have used as a test, setting a Scale Factor of .32 (32%) using the scale tool in CC seems to scale SVGs to the proper size. All my SVGs from Affinity come in too large.

I’ll post an update if I can find a method to set up Affinity to export to the correct size.

I tried pulling Affinity SVGs through Inkscape, but that didn’t change the scale problem.

For Serif Affinity Designer, draw the object at the desired size:

File | Export to an SVG at 96 ppi:

3x2square

Then open or import the file into Carbide Create:

2 Likes

That works well. Thanks!