Senior Citizens Club

You’ll never make money doing things for free, Jeff!

1 Like

Wait, you guys are getting paid?!

3 Likes

Isn’t everyone? Sheesh, there I go, opening my mouth again!

Jeff:

I also am in my 7th decade with house paid for, not much need for cash and the kids grown. I like your comment about keeping your pockets empty with the hope of running faster than the grim reaper :slight_smile:

With no experience in the CNC world I purchased the machine to challenge myself. I probably got lucky in that the Shapeoko XL came with the 9 mm belts, Z-Plus and proximity switches. All the upgrades that came after the initial release. I have added a few accessories (bitzero, bitsetter, e-stop and pause / feed) and feel I have all the machine I will need as a hobbyist.

I am not in the market for the Pro version but sometimes feel left in the dust of history with my ‘old’ system.

Thanks for your post.

Just another old guy wandering through the mists of time.

Bill

2 Likes

A little off topic but I’m in my 7th decade as well and I’ve turned a thousand bowls since moving to Florida. I give most away as I retired and don’t want a hobby that needs income. I’ll quit before I sell one bowl.
I also got the CNC to challenge myself and not sure who’s winning the challenge yet. I do keep trying though.
I also have v1 and it scares me now and then as I have to get the brain in gear all the time. Hope I don’t run out of gears.

2 Likes

Looks like there are more than a few of us in our 7th decade!

You’re right, Jeff, we should start a Senior’s Club, :rofl:

Sign me up!

(characters)

1 Like

I’m 73, thus I guess, I am in my eighth decade.

Still with all 10 fingers.

Richie

Is this thread exclusively for Carbide(AA)RP members?

1 Like

Guess I’ll go back in the barrel to age a bit more :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

3 Likes

I have aspirations to retire from corporate America and cut chips all day. Does that allow you to make an exception to the age policy???

1 Like

It’s been a busy week, I move that we table this for now and circle back later.

1 Like

@jepho as you say, organisational structure is important. That being said, I hope to never be CEO, as that would probably mean I would just get to supervise others making cool creations and comment about the affordability of the materials and cutting time efficiency vs being the one who actually executes the masterpieces.

1 Like

I’m not sure that’s a good idea! We may have forgotten what we’re meant to be doing!

2 Likes

Whew, that lets me out, sorry!

I’m only 63!

But at 63 you are in your seventh decade, like @jepho, who is over 70 and also apparently in his seventh decade ?

It’s quite obvious old age has affected people’s mathematical prowess :smiley:

4 Likes

“That’s all part of growing up and being British” - to slighlty mis-quote Monty Python!

Darn, I thought I got away with it!

I’m not quite of “club age” myself, but here’s a blue sky idea for those not wanting to generate income, I.E. sell their wares. Donate the proceeds to a good cause as there is a need out there.

2 Likes

WooHoo! I don’t have long to wait to join! :smiley: