Senior Citizens Club

the new catch phrase

1 Like

Codger club eh? Born before the middle of the last century. Ouch, don’t feel that aged.

Sign me up I suppose. Please send all dues to my PayPal.

Hey, back in the day they assigned numbers to SO3’s. I have #1212.

4 Likes

Well, if we’re going by serial numbers, my v1 Shapeoko was serial #364, and my SO2 was unnumbered since I did the instructions ( http://shapeoko.github.io/Docs/ ) and my first SO3 (since upgraded to an XL) is serial #0006.

5 Likes

WOW… at 76 am I too old for this group? To show you how far back I go, this was my company mascot before I retired from my engraving business and bought a Shapeoko!

6 Likes

Wow, you had color? Back in my day…

3 Likes

Looks faster than me with the XXL!

5 Likes

Or, alternatively…

" “ Codger ” is probably simply a dialect variation of “cadger,” and originally, in the 18th century, meant a stingy, miserly old man."

I think I prefer your version, @jepho

2 Likes

Eighty and upwards, are we old codgers allowed in or should we be thinking of kicking off our own club? Probably not enough members to even get started!

I feel particularly old when I think about my paternal grandfather who was born in 1849, he emigrated from Norway to Australia on a square rigged sailing ship the Humboldt in 1872.

humboldt-1851-x

6 Likes

So…on the topic of age…a joke:

2 old guys (I guess, codgers), are sitting after dinner. Their wives are in the other room. One guy turns to the other and says, “We went to a really nice restaurant the other day”
His friend said, “Really? Which one?”
He said, “You know, I"m getting old…can’t remember things the way I used to. What’s the name of that colorful flower?”
“Tulip?”, his friend offered.
“No…the one you give your sweetheart”
“A carnation?”
“No…the one with the thorns”
“A rose?”
“Yeah…that’s it!”, he said, then turning to the other room he shouted, “Hey Rose, where did we go for dinner last night?”

7 Likes

Betty White is 99 years old and still does not need glasses…
she drinks straight from the bottle.

1 Like

Don’t look now, but there’s one too many in this room and I think it’s you.
– Groucho Marx

Better hurry up and accomplish whatever because - “This topic will automatically close in a month.”

5 Likes

Nah, I can reopen it at will, until I’m in my seventies and join the club :slight_smile:

3 Likes

It will be interesting to see how long this thread goes on for!

Something for the grandchildren to look at and laugh!

2 Likes

A month can be a lifetime…but last year feels like a minute ago…what’s going on?

2 Likes

How about a discussion of interesting tools we’ve used over the years?

I’ll start, anyone ever had/used a Craftsman Router Crafter?

I used to make table legs with one. I have no pics but found this link. https://www.lumberjocks.com/gdpifer/blog/22918

3 Likes

My tool use from bygone times aren’t quite so subtle, as I worked on big, lumpy armoured vehicles!

2 Likes

Did your tool kit for armoured vehicles have a set of the perfect handle screwdrivers?

Garrett Wade used to prominently mention that in their catalog for a set:

(on sale now, might have to buy a set for my box of vintage tools — still regretting returning the Lee Valley set)

2 Likes

It does indeed :wink:

We had nowt as posh as that! Ours had yellow plastic handles!

I’ve still got one, somewhere - and a couple of spanners (wrenches) with the WD markings still on them!

1 Like