Senior Citizens Club

When I went through trade training, to use a screwdriver as a chisel or prybar would be a painful experience, with the instructor’s straight edge across the knuckles!

“The right tool for the job, sonny!”

Oh, how I remember those words!

1 Like

At last something I can be a part of at 76 without being told I am too old🤗
I’d prefer not to be on the committee which I am sure will be needed.
I was sure I was CEO material once when told that our GM and I had “the same career prospects” until it was followed up with “neither of you are likely to advance further in your career”.

1 Like

Hmmm, like-“oh my giddy aunt”?

1 Like

What type of projects are this ‘illustrious’ group working on?

Nerve wrackingly difficult or just banging a couple rocks together ?

I just completed a fixture that will let me use my Shapeoko XL as a plotter. An alternative to using a laser.

Now back to the normal programming - such as it is :slight_smile:

Bill

1 Like

The most interesting tools I’ve used of late have been some nifty things from Bridge City Tool Works (yes, I’m going to come off sounding like a complete corporate shill):

Started w/ a Chopstick Master v2 — bought it in advance of a family vacation and it afforded the chance to share my passion for woodworking w/ other folks in the beach house.

Most useful/used is a BR-6 triangular hook rule which has a centering scale:

though I just picked up an MMS-1:

though I wonder if I shouldn’t’ve gotten:

https://martineztools.com/product/martinez-micro-square-metric-version/

instead.

I also couldn’t resist the HP-8X Celebration Edition block plane, which I need to work out some sort of storage/placement for.

Anyone who is curious about these tools and this company and the designer should read:

A similar toolmaker (which company has recently been sold to the Woodpeckers folks) is Dave Jeske, the founder of Blue Spruce Toolworks, whose ultimate coping saw I was pleased to purchase before the sale — still regretting not getting a full set of his chisels, and really kicking myself for not getting a marking knife from the recent run.

1 Like

You’ve got a beach house :money_mouth_face:

I’m still ‘tweaking’ the enclosure, dust extraction and electrical workings! Oh, and fixing a leak in my shed roof - if I can find it!

And I’m researching the Pi to replace my MacBook Air!

I haven’t even started on a project, yet!

1 Like

It’s not “got a beach house”, it’s a family member is well-off enough that before the current global health crisis it was a family tradition for him to host the family at a rented beach house. After a couple of years it became traditional to rent the same one, hence the familiar reference. You can see some images from that at:

https://www.instagram.com/sandcastledude/

4 Likes

Yeah, a “beach house” is a hole in the atmosphere where you dump your money for repairs! :smiley:

3 Likes

Oh, I thought that hole was boats and Motorhomes. Neither of which I have.

1 Like

Peter:

I was a bit more impatient. My first ‘project’ was to flatten the spoilboard but that used a file created by BenMeyers so it went smoothly.

My first attempt to make something was a wooden holddown from Cutrocket.com I was able to mess this one up by not paying attention to the values entered in the Tool Paths. I changed the feed rate from 30 to 50 ipm but did not notice that instead of overwriting the value I added to it. The result was not pretty when I tried to cut out the profile at the leisurely pace of 3,050 ipm.

I learned the value of an Emergency Stop which I did not have at that time.

Jump in. The waters cold but can be refeshing :slight_smile:

Bill

2 Likes

Oh, horror :scream:

I spent some time manually cutting a window out in one of the self-built enclosure bifold doors and, because I’d used 18mm ply as the panel and 65x45mm CLS as the frame, getting the circular saw in there was a giggle, but I got there in the end. Then I remembered I’ve got a Shapeoko!

The window for the second door will/should be a breeze!

Jeff:

I have purchased V-Carve Desktop but am still able to accomplish my modest goals with Carbide Create. I am probably closer to ‘banging the rocks together’ on the spectrum of CNC work :slight_smile:

Thanks for picking up on the thread.

Bill

1 Like

Me too - primarily!

I do have a Surface Pro I use for work, but the price tag of Vectric software is a significant factor, too!

1 Like

Me too (again!)

I wasn’t too keen on their Serif software - it seemed a little dated, even then - but this ‘redsigned’ stuff is really good.

I’ve had Photo for a while, but Designer is new to me (which I blame you for, of course!) and I’ve no need for Publisher, and I like what I see. There is no way I could justify Adobe’s prohibitive (and rediculous) pricing mechanism - and even Elements is £70!

1 Like

You will find many folks here on the forum, myself included, who had this exact same question, took the plunge, and in hindsight find it a reasonable price for the value. If you do a lot of intricate V-carving (or other complex projects), it’s unrivaled I think, and the layer mechanism (among a few other productivity features) is what justifies the cost for my personal usecase. I could not afford Aspire, I went with VCarve Desktop.

My arsenal is Carbide Create Pro (for 3D relief and simple projects) + VCarve Desktop (for V-carving and complex parts) + Fusion360 (for the fancy 3D parts with adaptive clearing) and I find them to be quite complementary.

6 Likes

Well, this is exactly where I am at the moment. Having used Carbide Create for a year now I have been looking at what else is out there. I was toying with Carveco until I asked them a couple of questions, one of which was the price in £s, as it is not shown on their site. The answer, in my opinion is ridiculous.

Carveco is a UK based company, I am in the UK, yet they want me to pay in dollars! and incur the bank charges that go with the payment in a foreign currency. At least with Vectric I will be able to pay in my own currency.

One deciding factor is whether the HDZ, Bit Setter & Bit Zero are catered for with the Vectric post processor conversion for the Shapeoko. The Bit Setter has been a real game changer in what I cut and I now couldn’t do without it.

I am awaiting their reply, but would be interested in whether users of Vectric on here have had any problems with these.

1 Like

Yes:

• the BitZero and HDZ do not impact the G-code generation process
  • there is a VCarve post-processor for the Shapeoko that supports the BitSetter by inserting the tool changes command. @neilferreri wrote it, I can find the link for you if needed

(to be more specific: I am using VCarve-generated files and I have a HDZ, probe, and BitSetter, and it all works fine)

3 Likes

As far as I can tell”; “If I had heard

Well, perhaps before passing judgement on software that you know just a little about, you should walk that mile. There are completely free and fully functional trial versions of all of their software. With just a little effort, you might just find something useful. Oh, sorry, you don’t even have the hardware to run it, sorry. :smiley:

The purchase price of anything depends on one’s perceived value of that item. In my case, the shoe fits very well. I have walked many a mile with the Vectric product.

I watch others on this forum spending extra time on drawing things in CC, where I know it would only take two clicks to perform a built-in function in a Vectric product. Unless I see a specific need, I try not to comment on the differences, because this is a CC forum.

Hey, this thread is for “Senior Citizens”. Doesn’t bother us one bit to be cranky and opinionated! :smiley:

1 Like

Well, I honestly don’t believe that! :slight_smile:

Sorry…just lightening the air a little…

1 Like