Servo driven tool changing bt30 upgrade....because I’m an addict

Yeah quite large, spindle is 100mm and the harmonic drive for the 4th ways 16-17 pounds alone.

It’s definitely a beefy set up.

Bt30 is more because I want to use slitting saws, tapping heads, and all the other cool tools that bt30 provides. Less because I need it for rigidity.

The head is really more iso30 because it doesn’t have the drive dogs but I say bt30 because of the tooling I’m using and it’s not rated for high speed like iso is.

Small updates, waiting on belts to arrive and then I’ll upload more pictures. Finished stand offs, installed more electrical stuff. Added all the plugs for additional components and now I need to build the way the wires come in and out of the box.

1 Like

Your harmonic drive looks huge. Here’s a post from a Tormach group on FB that I saved, because really like how this guy approached making new enclosure/base for the harmonic drive. I’m actually planning on going the same route once I finally upgrade the controller. Maybe you’ll find this useful as well.

This drive is a big girl

Has more torque and holding power than even 4th axis offered by tormach and other similar sized 4th axis offerings.

I appreciate the link, joined the group so we’ll see.

Hey Bart,

Link just takes me to the page not the post

I’ll just upload the pictures from that post then. OP bought used microarc (torchmach’s 4th axis) which arrived in a damaged box and scratched up enclosure. He purchased this block of aluminum from McMastercarr. All the sides were already machined square.

4 Likes

Oh yeah that looks gorgeous

1 Like

Thanks for posting the photos as I don’t have facebook access during the week and probably would have never seen that beautiful setup. He needs to add a power winch to the side with a pulley system for easy mounting dismounting.

I saw someone do it on their machine and it was very clever use of a harbor freight $60.00 winch that made the task very easy and allowed full table access when needed.

1 Like

Been busy with summer fun but did get belts in and came up with a good way to get multiple wires out of my box cleanly

Will sanwhich a hole in the box to let all the wires and plugs come out in 1 place. Also seals for the most part.

5 Likes

Well went to turn it all on and blew out the side of the contactor.

Turns out the surge suppressor was rated for the wrong voltage…. And the kicker.

Ordered the right one, and got the wrong one :sweat_smile:

Didn’t even check it before plugging it in.

After checking over components, turns out my supplemental breaker also different than what I ordered but thankfully overrated.

3 Likes

Well see if the contactor works after that small explosion :sweat_smile:

1 Like

After replacing the surge suppressor, looks like everything is working nicely.

3 Likes

Another in the middle of conversion project, took the art and brought it to life.

9 Likes

Well everything’s in(except air solenoid bank) and all the servos work.
Wireless Probe turn on works, which is super cool.(this means when I put a probing routine in a program, the tool will get called up. The machine will turn on the probe and then probe and turn off.) just wild to see

Need to add all the wire pass throughs on the bottom as well as add inputs plugs for homing switches(I’m using the stock HDM switches so this will come last probably)

Working on z axis this week, machining all the lathe turned parts this week and next, I can finally see the end of the tunnel though.

Once servos are on, tuning will need to take place and setting up of the inputs for centroid.

Then I’ll machine a 4th axis and tool changer.

6 Likes

Almost there

3 Likes

How much does the whole assemblage weigh in at?

That’s a lot of hardware! Very impressive.

Havent weighed it yet, but my original guess was 60lbs

Far enough now to have everything to weigh and this made me curious.

Soooo final tally is 63lbs

1 Like

Gee whizzz! If your table isn’t bolted down, you could probably make the legs kick up with the mass of that bad boy! A Shapeoko dance battle…

1 Like

:joy: yeah it’ll be dancing around for a bit I’m sure, but in my plans, I’m going to anchor the HDM and pour a concrete epoxy base in its enclosure. Because why not.

1 Like

I also got a coolant pump and already wired it into my centroid so I’ll be including a coolant recovery system in that epoxy base.

1 Like