Shapeoko 3 XXL Initialization fails

Sorry, I meant the motor wires.

I will go double check those now.

I posted a quick video of what is happening, have you seen anything like this come across the forum in the past?

Yup. Personally too. Wiring or set screw.

Set screw would make sense to me, but I can’t seem to adjust it any tighter.

I have just rechecked all my connections and they seem to be correct.

I have checked the set screw and it is tight and on the flat section of the pulley wheel. The motor wires are attached to the correct places on the board.

I just turned the machine on again and there was a continuous motor hum. I had to unplug the machine to get it to stop.

Carefully check the wires for damage.

Without hearing it, I’d say that might be normal.

Does the Z motor lock when you power on the machine? Can you move it when applying gentle force?
Don’t force it.

It is pretty much locked down. It would take a bit of force to move it.

1 Like

Any chance you can get a top view video, closer?

Yes, is there something specific I should be trying to capture or do you just want to see a different view?

The motor pulley and belt. V-wheels if you can get them in the same shot.

Here is the link for the v-wheel shot. This is done with the machine off as I couldn’t really get a view with it on. V-Wheel movement Z carriage

This link shows the settings update, the motor hum, and the best I could to show the pulley and belt.
Pulley / Belt / Motor Hum / Settings Update

Power down and check that whole Z motor wire harness. If I remember correctly, there is a connection that occurs in the drag chain…check there for sure.

1 Like

I don’t see any wire connections within the drag chain on the x or y axis.

I noticed another thing after the last test, there were two lights blinking on the control board. I assume they represent an error status of some kind. They are located beside the blue light that remains on when you power on the unit.

Probably just indicating the serial communication going on. Do they only turn on after the issue?

I’m going to have to pass you off to the next guy…Sorry. Bedtime.
I still think it’s a wiring issue.

Your switch is installed backwards and on the wrong side of the plate I did the same thing . then reinitialize the whole thing from scratch .

Check the wire color order on your z axis connections compared to your x and y axis sounds like the wires are swapped on the connection. My machine did the same thing when I got it. I found that two of the wires on the z axis connector where it plugs into the board were swapped around so the motor was fighting itself. Swapped the pins in the connector and it worked perfectly.

4 Likes

This was exactly what the problem was. Thank you all so much for all the help. Happy this resolved my issue. Included a couple photos so people can see the issue.

This image shows the z axis cable (top cable) wired white, red green, black. The rest of the connections are wired red, white, green, black.

Took the two pins out of the connector

Used a knife to bend the tabs back up so they would stay in place when re-inserted into the connector.

Switched the two wires and put them back in the connector.

The obligatory hello world program finally executed successfully.

4 Likes

Glad it’s working!
A bit confusing, though. Swapping those two wires should just result in a reversal of the axis movement.
I wonder if the wires weren’t seated well.

EDIT: For an unrelated reason, I was just looking at my C3D board and realized the connections are in a different order: A1, B1, B2, A2
All makes sense now.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.