Shapeoko 5 cutting wrong

Hi there, I am relatively new to using the Shapeoko 5 pro. The cuts I am doing into MDF seem to be not cutting correctly from the vectors made in carbide create.

The “est 1994” I understand was too small to cut correctly. However the other cuts are just wrong.

You can see in the picture above that the left leaf was cut correctly however the other two are very much not.

And why in the L T and E did it cut off parts of them.

I’ve tightened every bolt and screw, I’ve taken the cnc apart and sqaured it correctly. It’s almost as if the machine isnt reading the G code correctly or maybe I’m just missing something obvious. Does anyone have any insight of things I should check?

To confirm, the machine is mechanically sound, and the couplers are complete and properly secured? See:

Are you cutting slots just as narrow as the tool? That results in near-constant high tooling engagement.

Where possible avoid slotting and add geometry and cut as a pocket

and/or

and consider leaving a roughing clearance and taking a finishing pass.

1 Like

What was your DOC & bit diameter for cutting this?
Looks to me like it was trying to go too deep too fast.

3 Likes

Post the file so we can look at it.

3 Likes

Thanks for all the responses!
I’ll give cutting as a pocket a try see if that changes anything. As for the depth of cut it was programmed to the default #102 1/8th endmill for soft wood, depth per pass was 0.03" to cutting through 0.5" MDF

The Walsh Family.c2d (516 KB)
This was the program

1 Like

After looking at your project file, I would think the most likely culprit is the feed rate - 1/8" bits can get easily bogged down in the material trying to be pushed too quickly. Also, for small figure toolpaths, the spindle tends to ‘jerk’ around rather than smoothly maneuver when it is trying to move around too quickly.

Depth of Cut is really shallow - yet in the pics you posted it seemed like the bit was not reaching the same depth at the bottom of the cut. Was the bit properly wrenched tight into the collet?
If your machine mechanics are all tight(no slop/backlash/wiggle on any axis) & all your stepper motor connections are solid(a bad/poor connector can result in intermittent/random loss of steps…wiggling the connectors around while jogging the machine is a good way to find bad connectors), then I would focus on adjusting the feed rate down & ensuring the bit is not slipping & is square/tight in the collet. I would also turn on ramping in the program.

3 Likes

Cutting as pocket worked perfectly. I did some more tests and I definitly think it was feed rate for sure. I’ll do some more test but this was a big help. Thanks!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.