Shapeoko 5 Pro - best spindle in UK?

Hi all,

Looking to get a Shapeoko 5 Pro and have found a UK stockist, but they don’t appear to sell any with spindles like the Carbide VFD.

Does anyone have any recommendations as to the best setup for this?

I currently run an old OXCNC using a dewalt router, so it’d be nice to have it all controlled by software rather than having to manually switch it on/adjust speed. But beyond that I don’t think I’m too fussy.

Buying to only cut wood, so don’t need to worry about milling metal and the like if that makes any difference?

We recommend a Makita RT0700 (some folks have managed to forgo a BitRunner and use a Makita RT0702).

We do have an 80mm spindle mount and matching spindle in development, but no idea of its power requirements.

I actually use a 220V (European household) spindle on my machine w/ a step-up transformer:

(though I didn’t get the nifty variable speed setting — I use a BitRunner for on/off)

which has been working well, though as noted in that thread it required an adapter plate.

That said, I wouldn’t characterize it as “best” — it was a pricey indulgence, and the only reason I could justify it was that I had been doing so many test cuts it felt as if I was spending more time wrenching than the machine was cutting. I also don’t push the unit hard (some folks have reported chatter in cuts in the quick-change variants), and I’m still trying to sort out dust collection — currently using a flat adapter plate which works, but lacks adjustability. Debating on hacking up my Sweepy Pro and then working out how it could be adapted…

1 Like

Ah right, ok so no real spindles available then - I’ve got a dewalt d26200 from my OxCNC - would the Makita offer anything over that? Agree the Mafell looks neat - I might investigate that!

The DeWalt would require a 69mm spindle mount, but we don’t make such a mount for the SO5 Pro.

There are a number of similar options to the Mafell FM 1000 WS which I have, including some more affordable options — but mounting them and working up dust collection seems challenging.

See:

for a lengthy examination.

Maybe @Luke has some better option?

Ah right, so very much limited to the Makita then - ok will lean that way!

The Makita is a trim router, the Mafell is a milling motor (specifically designed for lateral forces). I’d prefer the option of a Mafell mount to a Makita (although I understand the Makita is popular because of cost). The quick tool change on the Mafell is just the dog’s

Just out of interest which stockist are you looking at - I’ve only found Robosavy with that ever so painful $1 == £1.05

Marius Hornberger has a beautiful dust collection solution.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.