Shapeoko 5 pro MASSO conversion

I don’t have a comprehensive wiring diagram, I essentially followed MASSOs documentation per component and terminated to aviation connectors for each circuit. Since I wanted to keep everything in the controllers case, my wiring is very cluttered. If I do make a kit I likely would design some custom PCBs and make it so you would only need short jumpers inside the MASSo. The only reason I didn’t go that way with the initial build was because I was having problems finding pcb mounted gx12 and gx16 connectors. Everything I could find was panel mount. If I went with Molex style I could probably make it work, but lose out on the EMI protection. I realize for most folks they probably don’t care about EMI as much.

I originally was planing on using independent stepper drivers and then making a wiring harness that went from the MASSO to a drive enclosure that the original Shapeoko harness would plug into. After evaluating the complexity, lack of EMI, and the fact that I would need to create a second set of pigtails connections I decided to bite the bullet and upgrade the steppers and all of the wiring.

The reason I swapped the sensors was because the carbide3d ones seemed to be custom and went low when triggered instead of high. In my testing with MASSO I couldn’t get them to register. New generic sensors were only about $20 for a bag of 6 and have the exact same form factor. So rather than trying to troubleshoot them further I just swapped them out.

2 Likes

That may be because one set is NPN (active low) and the other is PNP (active high), it’s common for a sensor interface board to be set up for one type.

1 Like

Can you post a link to the PnP sensors you used. I was going to use some of the factory parts like the VFD, power supply, and sensors but now I think I will just leave them fully assembled and just make a completely new motion control enclosure setup and possibly sell the whole plug and play C3d motion system with the 2.2kw spindle to offset some of the costs.

Thanks for sharing your build I look forward to seeing it fully decked out with the ATC. I got the JGL 2.2KW 24k ATC sitting on my work bench just waiting for the rest of my components to get going.

What 36v power supply did you go with? 4 3nm steppers can pull 4 amps each maxed out so I’m looking at running 2 9.7 amp Meanwells because they are more affordable compared to a single larger 16amp supply.

I went with these sensors, but I no longer see the 6 pack listed only individual ones.

https://a.co/d/7ZMNyX5

I went with one 9.7 Meanwell, my thinking was that most carves are really only accelerated at full tilt for a few seconds at a time and seldomly engage all 4 steppers. So far so good, but if I start getting drops I’ll probably get a second PSU.

I’m super interested in your ATC, would love to know how you go about it.

There are not only NPN vs. PNP sensor types, but each of those types is available in NC (nomally closed) and NO (normally open) variants.

When conventionally wired (NO) NPN transistors pull the output low (toward ground) when active, PNP sensors pull the output high (toward their positive supply) when active (imagine NPN as a switch to ground, PNP as a switch to positive supply).

NC variants still pull in the same direction (toward ground for NPN, toward + supply for PNP), but have an extra stage that inverts the logic (so NPN NC is grounded when inactive, PNP NC is pulled to the + rail when inactive),

1 Like

I am aiming for a 12 tool retracting rack similar to Diy Engineering’s setup. I like the retracting tool rack and already have some MGN rails with slider blocks on hand from another project that I can use.

1 Like

This is a great build! (just saw your post on FB).

I guess you’re planning on doing the PWNCnc ATC set up they’ve been working on which is why you started down this path or you just wanted the extra power and control?

1 Like

What did you design in for the 3-D printed parts?

I was always planning on an ATC and have some ideas for other additions, like a rotary. Still not 100% sure if I am going with PwnCNC, since I did some custom connections I would have to probably make more cables. Also when I factor in the costs of the upgrade kit, it starts getting close to the CNCDepot FM30C costs, just would need to setup my own pneumatics.

Mainly Fusion 360, but I did end up using vcarve for the psu plates.

May I ask what resolution you get with this controller/steppers?

Thanks

I would go for the FM30C if it’s in your budget range with it being US made, no liquid cooling needed, iso30 holders, that can be swapped over to a better chassis when you out grow the 5pro chassis.

The JGL is 1/2 the price but it has direct wiring with a short pig tail from the factory for all the electronic connections and if I have an issue I would have to ship it back to China.

It does suck that I ordered my ATC 6 weeks before PWNCNC started selling a full Plug and Play Masso ready ATC kit. The spindle they use has a different air line configuration so I can’t order their air control setup or I would with their V5 VFD KIT.

This is going to force Carbide to step up their offerings and I’m happy for the CnC community.

1 Like

When I tested them they had 0.809Nm of torque at 0 RPM.

Well I would buy the upgrade kit for sure if available. I have the 5 pro 4x2 and was thinking of doing as you have done as I also wanted ATC. Was gutted when the PWNCNC ATC came out for masso with no options for Shapeoko.

Best
Chris

Here are some screen grabs of the settings

2 Likes

They are working on getting their ATC kit to work with other machines but wanted to start with Onefinity Masso CnCs because they are partnered with them “I think but I could be wrong” plus adding ATC to the Masso is very easy so it makes the most sense to start there. So maybe next year there might be a Carbide compatible version but you would have to reach out to PWN to see what platforms are on the list for development.

When Onefinity comes out with a Masso powered hgh15 rail chassis on par with the Pro5 Carbide will be in a tough position and it wouldn’t surprise me if Onefinity is already working on one.

Luke has been dabbling with ATC on carbide machines over the years so lets hope they step up.

1 Like

Brilliant, thank you so much :blush:

I’m curious, but why would you buy the PWN kit when you could buy all the kit directly? Masso, as a whole, has comprehensive documentation, making this pretty easy to setup.

I’m trying to understand pwn cnc’s value proposition in this instance.

1 Like

I assume you’re talking about their ATC kit? If so I think PwnCNC’s value prop is the same as their spindle kit, just a nicely packaged set of components that removes some of the research you would have to do otherwise. Also I imagine a lot of consumers are weary of spending several thousands of dollars on AliExpress without confidence it will work for their system. With their ATC they might be using a spindle similar to off the shelf $1400 ones but they are doing 90% of the assembly and wiring/plumbing for you.

It seems like a trend with ATC resellers where they will sell you a spindle for relatively at cost, but when you get a prepackaged kit from them the price doubles the cost of the components. CNCDepot as example, their FM30C is about $3500. If you diy the pneumatics and cables it cost you maybe $200 with a nice case. Add a Dura VFD and you’re still under $4k. But if you buy the their kit, with pneumatics, spindle, and VFD, they charge you $4800. PwnCNC seems to be going a similar route.

Now a novice person without a background in electronics, might spend a week or two researching how to assemble everything themselves, but could hook up a kit in under an hour.

My thinking for potentially getting a few PCB’s made up and offering a cabling kit to streamline MASSO installs, is that you could reduce the wiring and research time down to just a couple hours.

6 Likes

Isn’t the value proposition exactly the same as the C3D spindle? Follow the instructions and it works?

1 Like