Shapeoko 5 Pro Won't Initialize

Received 5 Pro a couple of days ago. Assembled today. Assembly was very easy and all of the wires connected easily. Machine turns on and Carbide Motion connects as it should (you can hear the stepper motors lock in). When I try to initialize the machine, it reports back that

1. “machine controller restarted unexpectedly and may be in an undefined state”; then
  2. “GRBL Error: Homing Failed, couldn’t find limit switch”; and finally
  3. “Homing Cycle Failed”.

I’ve read every post I could find on the subject, but nothing seems to work. Frustrating way to kick off my new machine!

A couple of notes: I have sent over the machine specifications prior to initializing. I have reinstalled Carbide Motion. When the machine first turned on, the controller smelled like burnt electronics. Maybe something shorted?

Thanks for any help.
Basil

Did you get the most recent version of Carbide Motion?

Did you send the machine configuration?

Please let us know what you find out at support@carbide3d.com and we’ll do our best to work through this w/ you.

Hi and thanks for the quick response.

I’m running the latest version of CM (579). It seems to know that I have a Pro 5 connected because the default options only include Pro 5 options; it asks which 5 Pro I have: 4x4, 4x2, 2x2. No other machines come up, and no Z-options come up.

PS. I’ve sent a note to support@carbide3d.com. I’ll let you know what happens.

Go into the “settings” screen. In the “Machine” tab, under “inputs” see if it says “probe”/ If so you may have been one of the few in the initial batch (like myself) that got an improperly wired front plate extension wire. They sent replacements out next day air, but if you fall into that batch, maybe you didn’t get a replacement?

1 Like

Oh, that might be it! I got a cable next day air with no explanation (or maybe I lost that explanation). Will try that right now!

1 Like

Under ‘Active Input Pins’ it says No Active GRBL Pins. When I first turned it on, it originally said Probe. It’s possible that because I didn’t use the replacement front-plate extension wire, something in the controller fried. I just replaced the bad extension wire with the Fed-Ex version. Still says none. Rats!

One more thing: Did you receive instructions with your replacement wire? How did you know what to do with it?

That area should say “None” or be blank if nothing is activated. You can go thru and check the homing switches and BitZero by activating them and seeing if they show up there.

The replacement wires worked great for me. So I don’t think the original ones fried anything.

1 Like

Thanks for the suggestion. I checked all the limit switches and the BitZero. All register as inputs immediately in the input window. So at least the front-plate extension wire is working! As it stands the motors aren’t receiving signals. Let’s see why the support folks say.

1 Like

Did you receive a response to resolve this?

There was also a baggie marked bitsetter extension. that replaces the one attached to the bit setter. Did you receive that one? My 5pro was having issues until I changed the original

1 Like

Hi Lance, I haven’t resolved the issue yet. But I’m traveling a lot this month, so it’s been hard to find blocks of time to resolve. I’ve now replaced the main cable chain and the control box. Neither helped. It’s a mystery! Frustrating for sure but the Carbide service team has been absolutely amazing. Very responsive and pro-active. Gives me a lot of confidence in the company. I’m sure we’ll solve the problem once I get a few hours to dig in.

I did receive the little baggie with the replacement cable. It works as far as I can tell. My machine is straight up possessed by a demon as far as I can tell! But seriously I expect to resolve the problem early next week once I can schedule a longer block of time with support (my travel schedule is making this difficult). Cheers

There were 2 baggies one for the front plate extension and one for the bitsetter extension. I changed the front plate first, and that one got me to configuring the bitsetter, but will not actually go for the actual bitsetting until after I put in the other bitsetter extension wire. Sometimes Motion cannot find the cutter and for that I have to hit the reset button. I hope it’s not burnt electronics

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.