Shapeoko 5 Problems So Far

Back right is the traditional origin point for machines, chosen as a point of safety so that positive movements in machine coordinates will always be away from the user — an important consideration for manually operated machines.

While our machines are seldom operated in manual mode, with MDI and Quick Actions and jogging there is some interaction along those lines, so being in accord with tradition is best.

3 Likes

To me the how the company responds to the issues is more important and Carbide’s customer service ha been outstanding to me over the last year.

i second that

i just bought the shapeoko pro (so not even a first iteration) with vfd, and i’m happy i ran into so few problems, but still, there were a few.

do i care? not one bit.
c3d you made a great product as far as i’m concerned.

i was warned for a possible loose screw in the stepper/belt pulley connection of the Z axis… because i watched a lot of youtube before i bought… or i read it somewhere in the forum, can’t even remember…
and yes, it was loose.
maybe i should have flown off the handle and complain, but i just tightened it.

And I didn’t plug the 110V vfd into my european 220V mains either…

i asked first and i got an answer… disappointing that i had to spend more to buy a stepdown transformer, well yeah, a little… i hope they put red letters on the website with HEY WATCH OUT THIS SPINDLE IS 110V… i’ll wait and see :slight_smile:

Just knowing about a warranty in place if something went terribly wrong was enough for me. I have about two more weeks left to break things, great to know.

Also not all the pictures in the build manual were up to date, but hey guys, these products seem to be evolving, how cool is that.

and yes, i liked lego when i was young

4 Likes

Plus, having the machine basically move through most of the extent of its motion range is an indicator that the machine is good to go.

1 Like

@tonytee Well said. Lots of people nowadays are fast to complain and slow to praise.

I’m currently waiting for the shipping notification on my 5 Pro + VFD and have my 220v => 110v stepdown transformer ready. I agree it should have been in big red writing about being 110v “only”, and I only found out after ordering, but the choice of a transformer or cancelling was a no brainer.

Just wondering about the power consumption on a 220v circuit now. Hopefully not too long to wait.

Building the work table this weekend…

C’mon C3D, please ship my unit! :wink:

5 Likes

I’ve been super duper happy with the 5. Just adding my thoughts to this “problems so far” thread. I’ve learned a lot from other peoples’ problems frankly.

Yes Carbide has been great. Of course there will be a SO6 down the road so I imagine they want to iterate on anything that could be more perfect.

1 Like

Yes same thing here was a little anoying but support was very helpfull

Those trailer jacks do look like a good idea if you have the space. I put the Rockler wheels that engage when you step down on the pedal and added the plate that makes them removeable. But, the Rockler wheels engage a little more abruptly than I would like.

I’ve been thinking about getting a CNC for a while, and the Shapeoko 5 Pro is getting very close to my mind.
But after reading this thread, I’m very worried about making that choice.
It sounds like a lack of quality control. Why so? This wastes money and time. I do not understand that.

I’m afraid I’ll get it to miss something that may destroy other stuff when powered on which may lead to loss of time and a number of extra efforts.

The machine is new, and required the development of some new techniques, which required resolving difficulties which grew up out of them.

We are expanding, which required hiring some new folks, which required training and people aren’t perfect, especially when they are just starting out.

The machines are huge and it took a while to work out how to get things packed for shipping in an optimal fashion.

That said, we have just shipped a batch of machines to the remote employees (mine was one) which have essentially gone out perfectly except for some minor issues — for example, despite the boxes being labeled as >70 lbs. and as requiring “Team Lift”, my machine went out on a truck with only one driver (and a diminutive one who probably would have been out-weighed by the box with the hybrid table had I gotten a 4x4) whom I met half-way across the street in front of my house carrying the lighter box single-handedly — fortunately, I was able to assist with this, and everything in the box, save for one wiring clip were in perfect condition, and all complete save for 1 missing hardware bag (which was easily made up for out of the “Extra Hardware Bag”.

We will of course be updating based on staff feedback, and things should go even more smoothly from here on out.

That said, we don’t try to run out the clock on warranties, even the 30-day one, and will work with folks to arrive at a resolution which is fair, and ensures that folks are able to use their machines.

8 Likes

Every truck I dealt with in my working career had a hand cart of some kind. Most of these drivers are too lazy to work with their tools. I could easily move items twice my weight with a two wheel dolly. No way to blame Carbide for that.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.