Shapeoko 5 resonance/chatter on diagonal movement

I really like the Makita, made some very precise and reliable cuts for me before I upgraded to VFD spindles.

1 Like

Meant to say 0.015", missed a zero lol

1 Like

Thoughts on something like this under the machine to dampen the vibrations? Would 0.5" thickness be enough

I use those (I assume that theyā€™re the same as the ā€œAnti Fatigue Matā€ sections from Harbor Freight) under my XL and they work well

2 Likes

Been following on you tube. Not frame,mats,oil, voltage,feeds/speeds, loose parts etcā€¦This is an ELECTRONIC ISSUE. Probably stepper oriented. The finish and the stepper noise are related. 3/4 baltic birch should cut like butter. One thing you could try is machining next to the Y gantry and behind the tool setter to see if finishes improve. Could do this on all 4 corners. Stepper noise is normal but not that much.I assume your vfd spindle is good. Have them send you a video of one of the machines at carbide 3d running. If itā€™s as loud then I would believe.

1 Like

have you been able to resolve this issue?

Thatā€™s an opinion, I would be willing to bet it is not electrical, it is resonance caused by vibration. And yes, I actually have a 5.

Hey Tim-

I do not (yet) have a 5 (that glorious event is still a good three months away), so I cannot run a test. But I tend to agree with your assessment that the noise is some sort of mechanical vibration. I once heard something similar on a CNC mill that had a sheet metal fairing/cover that protected the z-axis ball screw. It was folded into a long rectangular 3-sided square sort of thing (kinda like a long skinny cow bell) and it was bolted to the column on one end and the other end was free, and the whole thing vibrated like a cow bell. A firm finger on the lip of the cowling would cause the noise to cease. The sound I hear in the OPā€™s video is similar to that and it sounds like vibrating aluminum sheet metal.

Have you (will you) load the OPā€™s .DXF file and do a dry run and perhaps make a video? Since Iā€™ve already paid coin of the realm and have no machine to test, Iā€™d be very curious to find out if this situation is typical of all SO 5 Pros or if it is a one-off condition of the OPā€™s machine.

Thanks.

1 Like

Upload video of your machine running same program ( see above for dxf) that amount of resonance and vibration is not acceptable. If the tell you that they are wrong. Maybe they should fill columns with foam etcā€¦or extra bracing

Here is a link to Mobil Vactra Way oil on Ebay there are 42 listings for the oil I purchased some about 4 months ago.

Also if anyone in the Houston Texas area has the same problem I would be happy to take a look and see what I could find out.

Send me a message if you would like that.

Anthony

I donā€™t believe anyone is saying the mechanical resonance Jon is experiencing with his Shapeoko is typical. I know from experience that identifying the cause of mechanical resonance takes work (I had a similar issue with my Beaver Pro Frame kit I purchased from Luke).
Mechanical resonance is usually caused by ā€œspringinessā€ between the NEMA diver, coupling, ball screw, and load. Though they may seem stiff, these components behave like springs, twisting slightly when the motor applies torque. A little ā€œspringinessā€ is necessary. Unfortiunetky, it does not take much to excite this springiness to the point of resonance. There is a long list of things that can cause mechanical resonance; misalignment in the machineā€™s build, irregularities in the surface the machine is resting on, and inconsistent pitch in one of the ball screws.

1 Like

@jakesmakes you might want to check Feed rates $110 and $111 should be the same.

It is possible that the simultaneous rapids are taxing the controller. Itā€™s also possible that this is mechanical resonance. In either case, changing the default feedrate should take you out of resonance. Make sure to write down the current (in theory ā€œfactoryā€ settings) and then consider reducing/increasing the feeds by 100 and testing again.

Did you manage to get your machine to quiten down? Mine is pretty noisy too and Iā€™m pretty interested in any solution you come up with.

1 Like

Not really, oil didnt help much. Rubber mats did absolutely nothing. I already rechecked all screws multiple times. I guess this is just how loud these machines are. Ill be honest im giving up on it, just waiting for another machine to be more readily available and ill most likely will be selling my so5, its not what i hoped for

1 Like

Did anyone come up with a solution for this? Iā€™ve got exactly the same thing happening with my 5 pro 4x4.

The problem with cutting here turned out to not be this resonance at all, but a problem with the spindle.

The noise from resonant vibrations is an inevitable aspect of any mechanical system where there isnā€™t an element which will dampen things (as belts do on our SO4/Pro and previous machines).

If anyone has any difficulties with the machine working, please let us know at support@carbide3d.com and we will do our best to assist, but ā€œmy robot makes noiseā€ is simply a fact of such a mechanical system.

3 Likes

Okā€¦ I think that Iā€™ve tracked the issue down on my machine more. The right side leadscrew end is tight against the block. A drop of Vactra 2 here temporarily stopped the noise. The other leadscrews have a gap between the machined end of the leadscrew and donā€™t make this noise. Is there a problem with this part?

Here is an annotated photo.

Questions such as that are also best addressed on support@carbide3d.com

To add to what Will has said, almost all ball screw machines driven fast will make noise. They are not silent. If you look up videos of any professional or industrial CNC Router that donā€™t have music played over them, you can hear the machines moving. Lagunas, Shop Bots, etcā€¦ even our Haas VMCs are quite audible when moving. Easiest search term to find content like this is ā€œ____ CNC Joggingā€, and note that in these case you usually only see single axis movement. Simultaneous movement of two axes will obviously be louder and likely have some amount of acoustic constructive interference.

Ex: How to Handle Jog with the HAAS Controller - YouTube
and: Running the CNC Laguna IQ Router - YouTube

There is some acoustic, vibrational energy generated when things move. This should be the expected behavior. This does not impact the performance or surface finish coming from the machine.

If you identify a specific performance shortfall or discrepancy, please reach out to us at support@carbide3d.com and we will work with you to identify the root cause. In Jakeā€™s case we determined it was related to an out of spec spindle and collet, not to anything audible. (Excessive runout = chatter-looking marks on the wall that scale with speed.) Unless another concrete issue appears, we consider this matter closed.

7 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.