Shapeoko BitSetter (New Product Launch)

Yup that’s what I figured UPS LOL

Well I better not complain, wow, well at least it’s worth it and it is Christmas

1 Like

Well, ups sent me a notice it’s due tomorrow. My dang ups driver puts me last of the day. Being in the Arkansas woods is crap on deliveries.

Pretty special place to live I bet! Worth the little inconvenience, right?

Yes they do, I live in St-Georges and just got mine today.

1 Like

Yep, and my normal driver is not making my deliveries… I’ve got the Christmas Car delivery service from here to Christmas. They are so overwhelmed, that they have several folks use their SUVs to deliver to some of the outlying areas… So I got mine at 1 this afternoon. Just installed it a bit ago and I DO like the initial homing change that has been made.

Comes to the front center, change a bit, then to the Bitsetter. Works great and I think well worth the money guys.
The ONLY thing I still have issue with is the minimal distance the old Probe has to be to probe the Z. I have SO much trouble getting down to less than a half an inch. Oh, well.

OH, I did take a couple of minutes to personalize the plastic cover that came with the Bitsetter…
Just love my fiber laser.

I could have engraved into the bitsetter, but decided the cover was enough.

7 Likes

Ok just to check you can use any method to zero correct? If I want to use a piece of paper I can, then use this bitSetter with my VCarve Pro in one file correct? I just got notice mine is shipping with tracking!! Awesome

Correct- the BitSetter only handles the tool changes and initialization. You can set a program zero (work offset) anyway you’d like, whether that’s touching off or using our touch probe.

2 Likes

Can I still use paper Use paper to zero and the. Use the Bitsetter? I bought Charlie’s XYZ Triquetra PROBE, no offense you did. It have the touch probe in stock at the time, and I would think that still will work but I never used it still using paper,

I’d categorize a piece of paper as “touching off” so that’s why I didn’t call that out specifically but yes, touching off with a piece of paper will work fine.

There is no new requirement for how to set a zero that is imposed by the BitSetter. The BitSetter is not involved with setting the program zero at all.

3 Likes

Awesome, are touch probes in stock?

1 Like

Yes, at least when I checked just now.

1 Like

Did it only do z back then? That was the idea behind the Triquetra one I thought

I just placed my order. After watching the installation video, I decided to make a holder for my Touch Probe to be mounted beside the BitSetter, and similar to the Bit Sitter mount. I’ll post a picture after receiving the BitSetter and fabricating the mount.

3 Likes

@DanStory & @robgrz I must be blind. I watched the video 5 times. I D/L it and used my video editing prog. to watch it frame by frame to the end. I did not see what “New Product” you’re talking about. Is this the video you watched?

@WillAdams Is it possible to order a complete wiring set for my XXL with double the length of the wires? And before you ship my BitSetter, is it possible to double the length of its wire, please? Also, I just received the order confirmation email from C3D, and it shows it will be shipped to my old address!!!. Please, correct the shipping address.

I’m afraid we’re not able to offer à la carte parts sales.

For the wiring it would be best to:

• source appropriate wiring from your local hardware store or home center — 18 gauge security cable is sold in bulk by the foot at most hardware stores, e.g., Home Depot’s 18-4 CL3R Security Cbl Shld 1’ @ 0.63, Part number 0000-249-865 Ed0345.18.10 , listed by the foot on their site. Most larger hardware stores will have a carrel or rack near the electrical wiring area which has spools of wire which are sold by the foot.
  • get a suitable crimping tool
  • source pins and connectors from a specialty shop: https://wiki.shapeoko.com/index.php/Shapeoko_3#Connectors

The wiring on the BitSetter is really long to begin with (sized for an XXL, since we don’t have separate SKUs for the different machines) — it’s not something we’re set up to modify.

Please drop a line to shipping@carbide3d.com and we’ll update the address (I left a note as well, but it’d be better to have the address change in our official systems directly requested by you).

2 Likes

Can this product be used without using Carbide Motion as he sender?

Yes, but it would then be your responsibility to set up the macros/calculations for handling the tool change commands.

Could you be explicitly clear how the bitsetter is an improvement over just using the probe itself?

Could I not simply make a holder for the probe, use the probe to set origin (if I choose) place the probe in the holder and leave it there for the various touch offs?

Sell me on why to spend the extra $120 on another item?

3 Likes

The probe makes it incredibly easy to set “zero” on the top surface of your workpiece.

The bitsetter is used to compensate for the change in the amount of bit protrusion when you change from one bit to the next.

If you parked the probe somewhere and just kept “zeroing” off it - you aren’t taking into account the workpiece. The original top surface may still be present (at least some of it), or it might all be gone. It might work if you setup and only did the same thickness material all the time - but I suspect that isn’t the case.

You don’t need to spend the $120. It’s only a nice to have.

If you only use one bit per project - don’t bother. But once you start to use multiple bits on a single job - the change over process consumes a fair amount of time. And the advantage of having all your G-code in one program keeps life simple too,

3 Likes