Shapeoko BitSetter (New Product Launch)

the first front center move is for you to put the right tool in it

it then in 2nd step moves it to the bitsetter to measure

ah… okay, I moved my fixturing to try it out. For anyone wondering, I think the instructions just haven’t followed the latest programming.

So, as someone else reported, after init, the router will move to front-center for the tool change. Then it’ll keep the same Z and move to the bit-setter for the tool length sensing. Would definitely prefer a selectable tool-change zone, because I often have fixturing on the front side of the machine. Fixturing might be anywhere, so would like to be able to select the zone for tool changing.

PLEASE DO NOT CHANGE THIS until there is a TRUE FIX TO THE SOFTWARE. Going to the center is fine, if you use the outer 6 rapid spots with HDZ and ears, you crash… Going to front, then to the bitsetter is fine!!!

1 Like

thanks fenrus - figured that out - documentation just needs updating is all.

I think this thing will be awesome. time will tell.

aha, they probably caught this and the documentation just didn’t get updated.

I revise my request: would you please make it selectable (tool change zone) and include a double-check for HDZ users to disallow crash zones.

hi fenrus - what do you use for a dust boot?

edit: on 2nd thought, I’ll move this question to a PM or another thread…

Well, after initialization, I think the gantry/spindle should remain at home so we can place the workpiece. When we load a file, it should say something like do you want to install tool? if ready you say yes and the process starts. I don’t want the gantry to move in my workspace before I’m ready. I have not loaded a file yet, I’m just turning on the machine and want to get things ready, I want the gantry away in the corner for preparing my material. I don’t want to load a tool yet.

that is a very good point… hadn’t gotten there yet.

Carbide Motion is a great sender. There are other options that offer much more flexibility once you outgrow the restraints of CM.

I use CNCjs and @neilferreri macros with my bitsetter.

My workflow goes like so: turn on machine, home, secure workpiece, corner probe x,y,z. If a multi tool job then I run “initial tool macro”. Spindle moves above Bitsetter, probes, returns to job start point, spindle turns on, I click ok in pop up on screen and job progresses. First cut finishes, spindle parks at job end point, pop up tells me to run tool change macro. I select “next tool” macro, spindle shuts off, travels to Bitsetter location and stops. I change tool and tell the macro to continue. Spindle descends, does a triple touch, raises and returns to start point and spins up. I select continue on screen and the next cut continues.
At the end of the job the spindle parks at the start position but that can be changed to where ever you prefer.

2 Likes

@Griff - “Spindle descends, does a triple touch, raises and returns to start point and spins up. I select continue on screen and the next cut continues.”

So the ‘next tool’ macro doesn’t wait for you to turn the router back on? I don’t have a spindle and my router doesn’t turn on automatically.

I just finished a project with CM with bitsetter and while a bit quirky it worked fine after i figured out the idiosyncrasies and i was able to complete the project better and more precisely.

You can turn the router on manually then click resume.

So to make clear in my mind the bit setter is using the Z zero of your first tool and compares the new tool and offsets the new bit height to make the original zero set so both tools are set in software to the same zero point regardless of the bit stick out in the spindle. Is that what the bit setter is doing?

1 Like

basically yes

the result is that you no longer need to zero manually on bit changes… the manual zero always has some amount of error in it, that show up in my designs as little grooves. With the bitsetter… no more groves. It also means that I can now more easily use larger bits for clearing bigger areas, since, well, no more groves

2 Likes

Just to be clear, you set the zero BEFORE running the job then the software asks you to insert the first bit for the job. If it is the same you used for setting the zero on your workpiece, you press continue and it will go to the bitsetter but do no offset. It returns to the middle and asks you to turn on the spindle so you insert the dust boot turn on the dust collection and start the spindle and the job will start.

4 Likes

I haven’t been able to do much lately, but I was able to run a series of jobs the other day. Cut out a faceplate using two bits, and 6 identical parts, then back using 2 more bits. Bit setter made things easy. Machine does make some extra moves, but eliminates issues with changes, which by far is a great thing.

1 Like

How do I disable the BitSetter process for a file? For instance, I want to use my flycutter to surface my wasteboard, but it has a “hole” in the center that allows it to straddle the BitSetter. So it just pushes and pushes…don’t ask me how I know…

It was suggested on the Shapeoko FB user group to reconfigure the machine for use without the BitSetter and then re-enable it after the job is complete. Hardly seems efficient.

1 Like

Possible work around would be find a magnet or piece of plastic the same thickness as the difference b/w the center of your cutter and the outer cutting point and place it on the bit setter’s plunge button or attach it to the bottom of the cutter. Only have to make it once and it eliminates the need to disable anything in the software.

1 Like

I like this idea, thanks.

1 Like

Not trying to be a smart @@@ as I am one, but how often do you surface your board? Takes a second to unclick and resend setup. If I did this weekly or monthly, I might make a piece to fit, but otherwise, more time spent for a once in a while thing.

1 Like