Shapeoko Hardware Upgrade

I have a Shapeoko 4XXL which I have enjoyed working with over the past few years. Of course, since I purchased it there has been the Pro and the new 5 came out with linear bearings. Does Carbide offer a path to purchase the hardware to upgrade their system from belt to linear bearings?

1 Like

No, we do not offer any upgrades — this was done for the SO3 line because it grew organically, and we were trying to support early adopters, and the mechanics of the machine allowed it to be done reasonably affordably. For current machines there simply is too much structure to replace and it doesn’t make economic sense.

The Pro was announced before the Shapeoko 4 on 30 September 2020:

https://carbide3d.com/blog/nomad-3-plus-something-else/

with the Shapeoko 4 announcement following 19 March 2021:

https://carbide3d.com/blog/shapeoko-4/

Most folks who want a new machine sell their current one and use the funds from it toward a new machine.

I figured that was the answer, but I had to ask to be sure. Thank you.

Shapeoko machines sell well on craigslist and Facebook market place. So that is a possible upgrade path. Recently someone in Houston had a SO4 Pro XXL for sale. I thought about selling my SO3 XXL and upgrading. However my SO3 has done everything I have ever wanted. We always have the upgrade wonderlust but that is ok to dream but reality is more important. As long as you can justify the upgrade then sell the old one and buy the new one.

1 Like

What Z axis do you have?
If it’s not an HDZ, there’s your upgrade. My S03 with the OG HDZ is pretty solid.

3 Likes

Neil, can you point us to the “OG HDZ”? Because my search found a zero-turn lawnmower. :smiley: (It was a good deal, though! :smiley: )

1 Like

I believe the “OG HDZ” would be the v1s which were done by @Luke back when he was “Beaver CNC” (before our own British invasion when he joined us) — they were a distinctive blue colour, quite striking:

2 Likes

Thanks, Will. Now I remember that blue one. My due diligence is making me evaluate a hardware upgrade to delay an upgrade to the 5Pro by upgrading my 3XXL (I’m skeered, but not starting that thread again. :smiley: ). Perhaps @BrockW has similar aspirations.

As a person who switches back and forth between an SO5 Pro and an SO3 XL (serial #0006 w/ HDZ which was upgraded from a Standard size unit and has Gates GT2 belts from SDP/SI and has a hacked up T-track setup as well as the trifecta of Bit* accessories and a Mafell FM 1000 WS on an adapter plate) I can understand the attraction of upgrading.

6 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.