Right guys. Thanks for the voting on the rails. With the majority heading towards the HGH15 I’m running with this design. I appreciate not everyone will have had time to vote but trust me when I tell you the impact is all positive.
Now it’s time for an big update!
Bad news comes first. I cannot make the design accommodate a suckit dust boot. I’m really disappointed in this but there are 2 reasons for this.
- The suckit was designed for a Z where the linear slider is quite week - thats why it’s mounted to the X carriage and slides up/down separate rails. This Z is not weak which is why it doesn’t need a top X support.
- The suckit is designed around the shapeoko travel distance - whilst I might have been able to work around the first point, one of the main reasons people upgrade the Z if for additional travel. Now whilst 8/9cm is the norm, this one has 151mm… if I made it fit the suckit I’d have to remove the travel and make the axis smaller. I don’t think anyone wants that…
With that in mind and if you want to bail, please bail now. However I hope you will stick with me on this journey.
No one to let a setback, I also have a solution…
I actually had a dustboot design sat on the back burner for my own machine - it’s pretty clever with a 2 part design. One part clamps to your router. The other is magnetic base thats fully removable for tool changes. It’s locked in with high power magnets N52 magnets and pins. If I remember correctly the magnets have a combined holding power of 15kg or something silly.
Now the build cost for this should be pretty low - I’m hoping between $10 and $20. It just needs some 20mm Acrylic/perspex, magnets, couple of screws and some trim. If I can include this within the build cost I will throw it in for free! If I can’t cover it, I will offer it for nominal cost. Here is a quick snap of the design.
Now for the main update. This is going on a bit, but it’s getting good.
I’m in the final stages of the design - this is something like revision 20 - each time I’m tweaking and optimising.
The main changes:
- The Z/X is now 2cm shorter, but offers 1cm more travel! Yep I broke mathematics. There is 151mm of travel
- It’s now 40mm narrower - you can now cut further on your X!
- I’ve integrated an adjustable Z limit switch
- Your existing X limit switch can be used
- I’ve added easy access to the coupling - weird one but actually it’s very useful (trust me)
- I’ve removed the Princes Charles ears (a joke for the Brits) - no more funny out crops
- Lowered the Spindle bracket to accommodate a lower Z height
- V wheels are better protected
- Updated to use the HGR15 rails and blocks - the 1605 ball screw remains
- Motor support and bearing block is now one piece
- Removed all nuts! Except the Eccentric.
- Much tighter tollerances
At this point I’m sure you all want to see this creation…
Items in yellow reflect those that will come from your existing Z - Motors, spindle bracket and some spacers. A few screws will also come from your existing Z to hold the X motor, limit switch and X pulley. Any other you need will be fitted prior to dispatch - It should be 95% built and ready to fit.
Now - if you have voted in the past and willing to commit a deposit, please PM me with your Name, Location and deposit amount you are willing to commit along with your email address. The forum stops me messaging everyone in a short time frame I don’t want a probe situation on my back…
The main parts are going to be ordered this weekend and early next week.
If you have any questions - now’s the time to ask them - happy to skype or google hangouts with people if they want. PM me or post your questions here.