Shapeoko PRO +Water Spindle +Bitrunner

Just for confirmation, this image shows what I believe to be “forward” rotation.

2 Likes

Hey Guys,

Thank you for all your help.

I’m up and running. However…some concerns

its running clockwise…I switched the wires…im still not sure if this is the right way…

so, i take it i have to adjust all my feeds n speeds? i’m getting alot of powder and heat and loudest…
any recommendations. is it more power or toque I’m using that i have to compensate for?
right now im millin some scrap teak and its not cutting like my carbide router.

second the water pump that came with it doesnt start all the time, so i have to keep flippin the switch to get it to kick on…please recommend a suitable replacement if possible…

also, i guess is there a list of all the unknown stuff with CM. As, the additional hardware button and workflow is a bit different…lol…i wasnt expecting it to skip the power to rpm button and go straight to cutting. I’m wondering what other little items are hidden that not known.

i guess i got a whole new machine to learn. i probably have to redo all feeds and speeds

I would turn the spindle on manually (via VFD or MDI command) and verify the direction of rotation is correct.

The feeds and speeds should be pretty much the same since you didn’t change the rigidity of the machine. It might not hurt to verify that you’re achieving the speeds you’ve programmed for during cutting - perhaps during an air cut?

I’m just curious, how many products start with the word Bit, and how many more products are you going to introduce that start with the word Bit, and have you thought about some End Mill named products? (Grin)

Honestly, am I the only one who gets confused with all these products having similar names?

3 Likes

I will confess that I’ve messed up more than a few tickets by using the wrong product name when e-mailing a customer — the branding is cool, but sometimes confusing.

That said, I wonder if we shouldn’t do some sort of marketing deal with the folks at Choice Provisions (makes of the Bit: Trip series of video games).

2 Likes

That’s funny, but honestly, I read the gentleman’s concern and I’m trying to figure out how to help him, the whole time thinking it was the device that checks the height of an end mill (I couldn’t tell you the name of it if you put a gun to my head except that it starts with bit…)

Are you sure you are spinning in the right direction? Powder and heat sound like a backwards bit.

Mine spins anti-clockwise (other-speak for counter-clockwise) if you imagine yourself lying on the wasteboard looking upwards at the spinning endmill.

1 Like

Yea, I flipped it I think. Further testing later today.

There’s just some differences…

Also,

It seems the acceleration to full speed does not link up well with the additional hardware option. What would be a safe option to speed things up for everything to be automated?

Thanks for the photo. That really helped!

I’m not sure I understand this fully. Can you expand a little on the issue?

Here’s videos of my latest issue. And, it’s beginning to make me feel like I made a bad decision with this upgrade.

The videos from top to bottom are various increasing speeds with the sandy or weird noise I’m hearing. It didn’t start make this noise until after my first cut. I thought it was the collet that came with it but it’s definitely coming from the spindle.

The last video is from 20k rpm to m5 command. And, this one really has me frustrated a bit.

Do you guys think this fixable but a parameter?

Or is this spindle a dun?

I’m so frustrated.

This GPenny 800W water-cooled spindle with co-supplied VFD (Huanyang if I recall) is what I have, and it is really very impressive. I don’t get the ‘sandy noise’ you describe, but for a short while there was some noise from the spindle that concerned me - it disappeared very quickly and hasn’t returned. Various people have referred to ‘warm up’ routines at every workshop session to get the bearings settled, I have done that and on occasion not and (so far) it doesn’t seem to have had any adverse effect

Is the water flowing? It doesn’t take much for heat to kill these things, from what the documentation says anyhow.

I was paranoid about water flow when I installed my g-penny so made sure I had a flow indicator in there to make sure the pump was pumping.

Yes. It’s flowing. It’s not warm to the touch. Sounds like an aircraft warming up.

here’s my parameters for what its worth
01=1
02=1
03=400
04=400
06=3
08=110
09=7.5
10=4
11=100
70=1
72=400
141=110
142=7
143=2
144=3000

I’m doing a warm up session now. and, it sounds like radio noise or interference sound from the spindle…just weird…if thats normal than i guess i have no problems… i need to maybe hear someone elses and compare

Pd 14-21 increases start up speed. I think I need mines faster to be able to use the spindle control function properly for automatic control. For now I’m leaving it off because the spindle doesn’t get to full speed by the time it reaches the workpiece.

What settings are you guys using to increase spindle full speed?

Quite a comprehensive write-up on this from @Julien in an earlier thread;

I have a YL620 VFD which is different to yours. I just left the start up speed parameters as they were.

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.