Shapeoko tool path issue

I’ve been working on a project lately and for some reason after a couple jewelry box cut outs, my Shapeoko has been going way off its tool path. I’ve been wanting to mass produce these boxes but I’m afraid I’ll be chucking a bunch of good wood in the trash can. Anyone else has had this issue please let me know. I don’t want have to stand over my machine for the entire project. How productive would that be? Am I suppose to recalibrate my Shapeoko after so many runs? Is there even a way to recalibrate? Any help will be much appreciated. Thanks

Which model do you have?

For calibration see:

Usual causes of the machine going off-course when cutting:

• high tooling engagement caused by trying to cut a slot as narrow as the tool, much deeper in diameter than the tool — add geometry and cut as a pocket down to tab height or the penultimate pass
  • mechanical issue — check the belts, belt tension, pulley set screws, and linear motion setup (eccentric nuts/V-wheels, or linear rails/blocks/lubrication)
  • mechanical interference — usual culprit is the dust hose
  • wiring issue — check that all wiring is in good condition and all connectors are secure

If you continue to have difficulties, post your .c2d file, step-by-step notes on how you are securing your stock and setting zero relative to it and managing all tool changes, and a photo showing an attempt at cutting still in place on the machine here, or to support@carbide3d.com

Shapeoko Pro. I’ve been doing a little bit of research. Some suggest that using a surge protector could prevent this from happening again. Maybe my garage heater is pulling too much power? I have no idea.

to help us provide focused troubleshooting tips, maybe upload a picture of what you got ?
(and tell us by what amount approximately the tool path is off)
Things like loose pulley set screws produce sudden shifts along X or Y but otherwise don’t usually distort the shapes completely. On a Pro at least you know it’s no vwheels. Loose belts can also produce distorted shapes.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 10 days. New replies are no longer allowed.