Shapeoko XXL won't center on stock

I’m quite surprised that the values would change that much in a few hours (and that they would be below 39 steps/mm after the first calibration already) because I hardly ever tighten my belts, and keep getting relatively precise dimensions.

Just to check, when you say you checked at 125mm after the calibration and it was good, did you measure that using the same caliper process, and without having moved the caliper since the calibration measurements?

If so, a better check could be to move the caliper elsewhere, and recheck. A possibility I can imagine is if the axis of your caliper during the calibration was not 100% aligned with the natural axis of the machine, then you would measure a slightly longer or slightly shorter distance than what the machine has actually travelled. And you would still read a perfect 125mm after calibration, because…the calibration factor would have included that skew. From experience, it’s not so easy to attach the caliper such that it is perfectly aligned with the machine axis, so who knows…this is just a guess.

You could also try to measure the calibration factor using a different method, and see if you get the same values? For example, cut three pockets far apart but aligned along X and Y, and measure (with a ruler) the actual distance edge to edge:

11/12: New value for X = 38.09234

date ?? X = 37.9977

10/19: X = 38.98635

1 Like

Yes, I attached a pic of a setup I use based on one of our members setup using a dial caliper.

The caliper is aligned using the holes on the waste board. The holes were verified to be running parallel to the X axis and Y axis.

The caliper did not change and is at a fix position to avoid the uncertainties of cosign errors.

I use the touch probe to show me when the inverted router bit touches the caliper jaws. Also the Z axis is dropped down to the same depth using the rapid position plus 6mm of manually moving the Z down.

Mmh. I have no clue then, these values and their variation seem weird to me, but I don’t have an XXL either so maybe other XXL owners who have calibrated their belt stretch could comment whether they have such low (38-ish) $100 params…

Did you have a fresh battery in the caliper ?

Unless someone has a better idea, I would advise to do the three-pockets method, see what value comes out, in the (unlikely) event that something in the caliper setup is wrong

So 125 mm at default value of 40 mm resulted in a measured distance of 131.26 mm.

With a new calibrated value of 38.09234 mm resulted in a measured distance of 125.45 mm.

As in my previous calibration, not being satisfied with 125.45 mm, I tweaked the coefficient value by trial and error till I got 125 mm. Only this time I will not till I can find the root cause of why the default values have a deviation of 5.81 mm.

I have an uncertified 123 block that I can use as a go/no-go reference to check the accuracy of the Chinese Caliper.

1" = 25.43 mm
2" = 5.083 mm
3" = 7.629 mm

Looks good …

Yes I am stump …

Added for memory Setup refetence Z axis

Z = 40 mm <59.76 mm>
Z = 40.1606 mm <60.008 mm>

Interesting discovery:

From the SW to the NW, the X axis deviates by 0.5". Looking for the fault.

EDITED: Correction Y axis is not tracking parallel.

X axis is tracking.

Belt tension sounds good on both sides of the rails.

Found the culprit … that explains my entire issues on this thread.

I readjusted the eccentric nuts having found them to have loosen during the break in period a while back.

I checked the friction on the right rail and found one of the v-wheels a bit too tight. Re-adjusted and the left side rail NW to SW is tracking.

Back to my calibration verification … Whew … so much moving parts … reminds me of my RC Helicopter … a hundred parts all working together to make the heli fly. In this case, make the Shapeoko put out accurate projects.

Glad I found this …

3 Likes

Nice!..

After extensive efforts and time; I come to the conclusionn how accurate does the belt tension adjusment need to be?

The 125mm known distance using a Chinese HF digi caliper did NOT provide stable results.

So I tried another method as seen in the pix. Converted inches to mm, recalibrated, and checked the results along the full travel of the Y axis.

Then I randomly pick distances within the Y axis and had good results.

What is a good result? Well the naked eye can discern just how far the point of the Vbit is in relation to a cardinal point on the tape measure.

Your thoughts …

Doing the method describe by Julien provides actual results under load. I have been avoiding this method thus looking for other alternatives.

How can I validate using the tape measure method? I heard of circle square diamond.

At this stage, I have not accumulated enough scrap woods as test pieces, hence my hesitation.

After inputing the new values using the Tape Measure method here are the results.

Where 9" = 0 (reference starting at the NW corner.

Moved 10 “, then 1”, then 5", then 5", then 2", then 3", then 4" concluding the full travel along the Y axis.

After inputing the new values using the Tape Measure method here are the results.

Where 9" = 0 (reference starting at the NW corner.

Moved 10 “, then 1”, then 5", then 5", then 2", then 3", then 4" concluding the full travel along the Y axis.

1 Like

After doing the tape measure method here are my X & Y new values.

X = 39.9109 mm
Y = 39.9139 mm

Not sure if performing the calibration on 125 mm distance as compared to a longer length. But the greater the length the better the accuracy.

3 Likes

Now these look like typical calibration values. A tip of my hat for your perseverance to get to the bottom of this.

2 Likes

A huge Thanks to ALL for their valuable input. Yes perseverance and Thinking Outside the Box.

1 Like

These numbers sound like you may be measuring to opposite sides of the bit; a 6 mm bit included in a 125 mm measurement would be about a 5% error which would agree with your initial 37.9 steps/mm factor.

DAH, it was a tight v-groove wheel on the right Y rail and also using a dial caliper at 5 inches to perform the belt tension calibration created an error over the overall length.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.