Shapeoko XXL won't center on stock

Found the culprit … that explains my entire issues on this thread.

I readjusted the eccentric nuts having found them to have loosen during the break in period a while back.

I checked the friction on the right rail and found one of the v-wheels a bit too tight. Re-adjusted and the left side rail NW to SW is tracking.

Back to my calibration verification … Whew … so much moving parts … reminds me of my RC Helicopter … a hundred parts all working together to make the heli fly. In this case, make the Shapeoko put out accurate projects.

Glad I found this …

3 Likes

Nice!..

After extensive efforts and time; I come to the conclusionn how accurate does the belt tension adjusment need to be?

The 125mm known distance using a Chinese HF digi caliper did NOT provide stable results.

So I tried another method as seen in the pix. Converted inches to mm, recalibrated, and checked the results along the full travel of the Y axis.

Then I randomly pick distances within the Y axis and had good results.

What is a good result? Well the naked eye can discern just how far the point of the Vbit is in relation to a cardinal point on the tape measure.

Your thoughts …

Doing the method describe by Julien provides actual results under load. I have been avoiding this method thus looking for other alternatives.

How can I validate using the tape measure method? I heard of circle square diamond.

At this stage, I have not accumulated enough scrap woods as test pieces, hence my hesitation.

After inputing the new values using the Tape Measure method here are the results.

Where 9" = 0 (reference starting at the NW corner.

Moved 10 “, then 1”, then 5", then 5", then 2", then 3", then 4" concluding the full travel along the Y axis.

After inputing the new values using the Tape Measure method here are the results.

Where 9" = 0 (reference starting at the NW corner.

Moved 10 “, then 1”, then 5", then 5", then 2", then 3", then 4" concluding the full travel along the Y axis.

1 Like

After doing the tape measure method here are my X & Y new values.

X = 39.9109 mm
Y = 39.9139 mm

Not sure if performing the calibration on 125 mm distance as compared to a longer length. But the greater the length the better the accuracy.

3 Likes

Now these look like typical calibration values. A tip of my hat for your perseverance to get to the bottom of this.

2 Likes

A huge Thanks to ALL for their valuable input. Yes perseverance and Thinking Outside the Box.

1 Like

These numbers sound like you may be measuring to opposite sides of the bit; a 6 mm bit included in a 125 mm measurement would be about a 5% error which would agree with your initial 37.9 steps/mm factor.

DAH, it was a tight v-groove wheel on the right Y rail and also using a dial caliper at 5 inches to perform the belt tension calibration created an error over the overall length.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.