Short intro with some pictures

Hi guys. I’ve been lurking here for a while just reading and learning form you. Thought I’d share some of the stuff I’ve done. I’m rather new to CNC and just started since November of last year. Mostly have done just wood and have done brass twice. I mostly just use carbide create as fusion is a whole different animal for someone new to this. Luckily for me I have not had any issues with any of my wood projects, no broken bits or any of that. Now the brass is a different story. Broke 3 bits on my first attempt and two on my second. First attempt my work piece was not perfectly level, my fault. Second attempt towards the end noticed that there was some vibration, but all in all, the second time around these pieces came out good. Pieces are for a branding iron I decided to make myself as I feel it’s more rewarding to make something like this than buying it. Feel free to provide some constructive criticism and or tips.

9 Likes

Nice work. I’m new also in fact just got my CNC last week and in the process of assembly just finished the cabinet for it. interested in how you made the letter. That’s a project I would also like to do.

Thank you. So, that letter was actually my first project and went about it in a complicated way. I had to learn a bit of Inkscape. I did a print screen from a picture of the letter, then pasted on paint. I then outlined the letter with black, deleted the pic and saved it. I then opened with Inkscape and did the setting where it finds the lines (or something like that) and saved as svg file. Finally opened it with carbide create to do the tool paths and then was ready to cut. I know I could have outlined it on carbide create, but found it easier to do on paint at that point.

1 Like

There’s a basic bit about this at: Making a monogram in Carbide Create

Basically you just need a letter and an ornament and combine them using a Boolean function:

One excellent source of ornaments is: http://www.craftsmanspace.com/free-patterns — they’re also included in some fonts.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.