Should be simple pocket, but not working

I need to cut a shape into a piece of plywood. It’s basically a round hole with two sides chopped off. I created it in Carbide Create with a circle and a rectangle and trimmed vectors:

But, when I try to create a pocket, I get an “EMPTY TOOLPATH” message.

and

Here’s the file:
MagJig150.c2d (44 KB)

I can create a Contour from the same vectors, but I need a pocket.

It must be an open vector. Those are supported for contours.

Select all of them and then the join vectors button. Then select off and back on to see if the
Whole thing highlights. If not then zoom up on the intersections to see if there are overlaps or gaps.

2 Likes

As @CullenS noted, the vectors are open/unjoined (indicated by their being magenta) and the solution is to select them:

and use the “Join Vectors” command:

Yes

which will then work for a pocket:

1 Like

Great! I tried grouping, but obviously that’s something else.

Now another question - since I’m cutting all the way through the stock, how can I just cut the outside-most path? That’ll leave a piece in the middle, but that’s OK since it’s double-stick taped to the spoilboard.

Where possible avoid slotting and add geometry and cut as a pocket

and/or

and consider leaving a roughing clearance and taking a finishing pass.

1 Like

Just wanted to say, it’s working great - thanks for the quick turn-around on a Sat night!

2 Likes

That’s great to hear!

We do our best to staff the support queue and various social media sites on evenings, weekends, and holidays, since that’s the only occasion many folks have for using their machines.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.