Sign - Upcycle Chair

Neighbor was scraping some hardwood chairs because of loose/broken legs, arm rest, etc… so I had to rescue them and decided to make a sign with 1 of them.

Finished sign

Step 1 - Break down chair to rough stock

Step 2 - Flatten top and bottom

Step 3 - Machine center pocket and outer contour

Step 4 - Apply vinyl, now I was seriously considering leaving it with the vinyl backing, looked really nice but a small trimming of the transfer paper somehow got stuck to the back and created a bump in a small area. Because of this I proceeded with using torch paste and then used a heat gun to burn in the graphics

Step 5 - Apply clear coat

(Edit: you may have noticed the “EST 1964” in the vinyl and only part of the “64” burned into the final sign. Daughter added a few years on me and thought is was funny and I had forgotten to tape it before applying the torch paste so some got onto part of the sign… I was going to sand it off but thought is looked ok, the joke is still visible but not making me older either… LOL After this project I can certainly see the appeal of a laser add-on for the Shapeoko… :slight_smile:)

17 Likes

Great job.

I have rescued “stuff” from Habitat for humanity many times. They are starting to realize the value of some of that stuff.

1 Like

No doubt, these chairs were solid maple and the final sign ended up being 1" thick. Around where I live the city has a few special garbage collections throughout the year so when it’s the ones for putting out furniture out at the curbside it’s a perfect opportunity to drive around and find some free treasures for the taking. It’s amazing what people put out at the curb… one’s man’s garbage is another one’s treasure :slight_smile:

1 Like

Be careful. 20 years of “I may use that some day” ended up with 2000 lbs of “stuff” to the dump. At least with wood it makes firewood.

4 Likes

I can’t believe I had never heard of this amazing-ness… Order is on the way, no idea what to use it for, but I’m sure I’ll find something!

2 Likes

Absolutely great, love it. Would you mind sharing the graphic as an svg file ?

Cheers

Dennis

1 Like

My daughter created the vinyl stencil on her Cricut machine and got the graphic off “Cricut Design Space” during her 1 month free trial membership. It’s a licensed graphic available through their subscription and I don’t think there’s an obvious way to export it anyways. That said I don’t have a download of it.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.