Sounds suppression, XXL bed flatness, and other musings

That looks good Jude, but no worky with an XXL because of the straps. Although I had found some moulding material at HD to make suitable shims I didn’t really feel like going to HD today as I have plenty of other stuff to do. Then I realized I own a table saw and I’ve got a bunch of MDF laying around, so I grabbed a piece of 3/4" thick and cut my own shims. I decided to just make a bunch of single pieces, then strategically place them under the end plates, see pictures:

And since we’re on the subject of dust collection, here’s a few pics of what I came up with. 2" PVC pipe (no glue, just pushed together) , MDF Z-axis hose holder cut on the XXL, Suckit dust boot, all feeds an Oneida Dust Deputy on top of a 5 gallon “Homer” bucket that I cut a hole for in my lower table shelf, powered by the little Fein Turbo 1 with a short length of hose I already had. The idea was to make everything as serviceable as possible, while still being effective. I used PVC where I could to give the dust smooth transitions, I shortened flex hose as much as possible for less drag in the system. The PVC connection just above the dust boot I stuck on my lathe to turn just the last 3/8" or so down so it will fit standard Shop Vac cleaning tools, this way whatever escapes the dust boot I can simply unplug the hose, connect a regular Shop Vac wand and vacuum by hand. I know it could be optimized further, less hose, more smooth pipe, better transitions between hose sizees, etc., etc., blah, blah, but it’s working well as-is. I even did a little GCode in CC to run the gantry around after I run a job to vacuum as much of the table after I’m done, because I’m lazy like that, haha!

Pics:

Z-plate dust bracket:

Overall view showing the PVC boom (Also note PC monitor mounted on a swivel arm, and SuperPID controller mounted below on another swivel mount. Swivel arms were like $12 each on Amazon)

Gotta feed the bucket (boom to Dust Deputy)

Opposite side of bench showing the little Fein Turbo 1

Now I just have to finish the wasteboard!!

Dan

10 Likes