Speeds, Feeds, Power, and Force (SFPF) Calculator

Questions about the specific capabilities / specifications of the Carbide Compact Router will have to go to @Jorge, @Luke, @edwardrford and the other folks who are in a position to know / test the specifics (I don’t even have one, still rocking my Makita RT0701).

1 Like

Nice work @gmack.

Perhaps this has been discussed in one of the other F&S threads but I was curious if it is possible to (somehow) incorporate calculations for machine deflection as well in this spreadsheet? Could be a useful parameter to include when you are optimizing your cut parameters.

Thanks!
Machine deflection is caused by both cutting forces and geometry. Cutting geometry is highly variable, so it’s a lot easier to measure than estimate/predict. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Will,
I feel bad about cluttering up those other threads with the old posts related to this. Is there an easy way to move them to this or a separate SFPF History thread?

1 Like

Give us a list of posts you’d like consolidated and the threads you’d like them moved to and we’ll see what can be done.

1 Like

Thanks Will! Here’s the list of posts to move to the new “Speeds, Feeds, Power, and Force (SFPF) Calculator History” thread.Posts to Move to Speeds, Feeds, Power, and Force (SFPF) Calculator History .zip (9.7 KB)

Could you do the list of posts as a text file or something? I don’t have Excel.

You hurt my feelings dude - you haven’t even tried the workbook? Posts to Move to Speeds, Feeds, Power, and Force (SFPF) Calculator History (2).zip (563 Bytes)

2 Likes

Sorry, just haven’t had occasion to have to install a spreadsheet on this machine.

Google Docs will open Excel files.

2 Likes

Yes, but it’s not perfect about it, and since it works best in Chrome, doesn’t work well for me, since Google bought into the stupid idea of a stylus being used for scrolling, so even though I’ve configured Google Chrome to not do so, clicking with the stylus doesn’t work reliably.

@WillAdams This might interest you.
https://github.com/Nekomajin42/spreadsheet-blocks

1 Like

You may want to get Open Office and try if the worksheet formulas and control work properly in your environment.

2 Likes

Amazingly cool, but:

The application generates syntactically correct formulas, but does not evaluate them.

If it just did evaluation, it’d be awesome.

My problem is, I’m still looking for a replacement for Lotus Improv and can’t justify Quantrix Financial Modeler.

Do you use WordPerfect too? :grin:

1 Like

No, TeX/LaTeX — fond of WordPerfect, but the best implementation was on NeXTstep, and unfortunately, my Cube won’t boot up anymore, and it was never compiled for Sparc (one of these days I’ll dig through all my boxes and find a mouse and keyboard for my Sparc 5 and get it booted up again).

If you’ve never used Lotus Improv, you should at least look up Quantrix Financial Modeler.

In the mid-90s a former boss of mine had a NeXTcube sitting under his desk, but he never booted it up as far as I know. He brought it with him from when he worked at NeXT–evidently he knew Steve Jobs too.

1 Like

I just tested the free OpenOffice Calc program on a Windows 10 PC. I opened the “2019-09-12 SPDF Workbook.xlxs” provided in the above posted .zip folder with both Excel and OpenOffice Calc. I then added worksheet tabs for a 0.5" endmill at 38 kRPM using both programs. As shown below and in the attached compressed folder, apparently the only thing OpenOffice Calc doesn’t support is the conditional formatting used for warnings in the Excel wordbook. Other than that, everything works surprisingly well - including Excel opening OpenOffice Calc’s .ods files and OpenOffice inserting individual sheets from the Excel workbook.
2019-09-13.zip (824.5 KB)

2 Likes

It’s good to see that OpenOffice is still being supported. The last time I used it was when Oracle acquired Sun Microsystems and it seemed like the whole OpenOffice suite was going to die off.

1 Like

"Google Docs will open Excel files."
I think that’s what @Vince.Fab uses. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like