Spindle sets off without use of potentiometer

Hi Julien… I will check that … I have read your post thoroughly and printed it off… mainly as a guide and your experience ( I do understand Disclaimer though …ha ha ha )
I have made a little progress by changing frequency values!!!
PD003=50
PD004=50
PD005=50
it slowed spindle down on enter and stopped me panicking

1. why are the values set at 400Hz on everything?
  2. why is PD144=3000?
    Max on my spindle is 2400
  1. 400Hz is the max frequency to be used by the VFD to control the spindle. I bet it must be etched on your spindle body like this ?
    Basically, the VFD will vary the frequency with which it feeds the coils in the spindle, to control its speed (hence the “Variable Frequency Drive” naming). 0 Hz will map to 0 RPM, and 400Hz will map to 24.000RPM. By setting PD003/4/5 to 50, you effectively have reduced RPM from 24000 to 6000, which is less scary but does not explain why the spindle starts on its own at power-up, so let’s sort that out first (and then you will need to change PD003/4/5 back to 400).
  1. PD144 is the rated max RPM of your spindle, but expressed in a weird unit of “RPMs if your spindle max frequency were 50Hz”. Since this spindle max rated frequency is 400Hz not 50, we must translate “24000RPM for a 400Hz spindle” to “XXX RPM for a 50Hz spindle”, so XXX = 24000 x 50/400 = 3000, hence why we set PD144 to 3000.

Now to inspect that jumper ! :slight_smile:

Jumper is set to VR
I have set the VFD to 400Hz
Personal view is the potentiometer os not working as it does nothing at all
The spindle just goes like a rocket… I switch it off at 18000.

(with the VFD turned off obviously) can you move that to the “VI” position (should be the two pins on the left, see image above), and report if it changes anything ?

No changes
its funny really the revs are showing in the display so thats normal!!

And the VFD ignores the STOP button and the potentiometer position, whereas PD001/002 are set to 0 ?
I’m at a loss then :frowning:

no I switch it off using the red button on the VFD
it’s just the potentiometer does not work … if the pot is fully turned to the left I thought the spindle would go slow and as I turned it around it would go faster… I turn the pot and the spindle just keeps going

Re-reading the manual, the “main frequency” stored in PD003 appears to only be used when in “operator” (manual) mode, so you could set that to 0, which probably would leave the spindle idle upon power-up (I’ll dig if I can find something else about not waiting for the “Run” button in operator mode in the meantime…).

This could turn out to be a good enough workaround, because (says the manual), PD003 is ignored when the VFD is configured for external control (which it will be, once you set PD002 back to 1 after this is sorted out).

I’m with you on that… I did set PD003 = 50 and it stayed at a constant low speed.
when I get my HDZ i will configure the PD001 & PD002 to run from the control board on my XL
Until then it’s back to my Makita
Thank you for everything
You did not say where you are based??

Yeah so safety first, set PD003 to 0 in the meantime.

I did though :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you for the help… I’m in Staffordshire centre of the UK

2 Likes

If you feel like it, there is a dedicated thread (here) where you can drop a few lines about yourself (that anecdote about selling the first digital camera in the UK would be perfect there :slight_smile: )

3 Likes

Than you I’m on it…
If your ever in the UK call in… you will be welcome at any time

3 Likes

Well that went …great
I emailed G-Penny earlier today and I had an email back … asking what the problem is and how they could help… even though they said they did not work Sunday’s… BUT THEY HELPED… and my potentiometer now works…

I am really happy at all the work Julien has done to help andI will shout out loud… Buy from the company:
BEST TECHNOLOGY CO LTD Via AliExpress

If it bites me back thats ok their service is second to no one
They also have a lot of product that a lot of the community on here use

2 Likes

But… Keith… some of us (well probably only me) were following with mild interest… how was the problem finally resolved? Misplaced jumper? Bad registry value? Turn-it-on-and-off whilst standing on one leg?

1 Like

Sorry everyone & Gerry …G-Penny sent an email to reset the VFD PD013=8
then:
PD005=400
PD004=400
PD003=400
PD072=400 (must do this step by step)

do not know what that meant

Knob working: PD002=1:PD070=1
That was sent
then these were sent
HY series inverter parameter setting instruction 2.pdf (62.0 KB)
I did not look at these yet as it is out of my comfort zone … being a newbie

I will start again tomorrow bank holiday Monday… and keep you informed
My potentiometer worked after doing the first email and the six PD series!
Sorry again

2 Likes

Well, my bet is that one parameter was off and that reset to factory settings was the key (the rest of those parameters are nothing special). Anyway, it’s great to hear that they could help you so quickly and fix the problem. Have fun tomorrow getting the Shapeoko to control the spindle now!

Thanks Tink! Just needed a bit of closure :slight_smile:

You’re the closest forum member to me I think I’ve come across so far (I’m in West Oxfordshire).

2 Likes

Hi Gerry… we will have to search the country west Oxfordshire is on the edge of the Cotswalds I think …
Great to here from you

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.