Surfacing Bit and Bitsetter Problems

Ran into a problem that I’m not really sure how to work around. Yesterday I need to run a facing operation first and had not run my surfacing bit since adding the bitsetter. When op1 started and the surfacing bit approached the bitsetter , it totally misses the button all together because of the pocket between the flutes. I’m left scratching my head about how to handle tool changes with the bitsetter, if the tool can’t touch off, instead of crashing the tool into the bitsetter box. Anyone have any ideas how to handle this scenario?

1 Like

This issues was recently discussed in the following thread. Maybe it will help.

Thanks I searched and didn’t find that thread

I clicked on the link and it opened right up. Basically the advise was to turn off the bit setter in the configuration during the surfacing operation. Others on the thread said that they use large bits for removing areas that are quite large so someone suggested that you put a disk over the bit setter so the larger bit can hit the disk and not miss the bit setter button.

Although the bit setter is a great option for the majority of bits it is not a be all everything. There are some operations like surfacing that it is more trouble than the good it does. So in these few cases turn off the bit setter option and resend the configuration to the Shapeoko. When the necessary operation is done you must recheck the bit setter and go through the calibration process of the location of the bit setter. The bit setter has only been around for the Shapeoko about 2 months and before the bit setter was available what did you do.

The configuration is easy to send and changing the configuration is not a real problem. Go with the flow and follow the path of least resistance.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.