Tapered ball nose bits

I am trying to manually enter the tool parameters for an Amana bit # 46473 the details of which are shown below:

CNC 2D and 3D Carving 6.2 Deg Tapered Angle Ball Tip x 0.5mm Dia x 0.25mm Radius x 26.5mm x 6mm Shank x 75mm Long x 3 Flute Up-Cut Spiral Solid Carbide ZrN Coated

I’m not sure if I should enter this as a ball nose bit or an engraving bit. When I try and manually enter as a ball nose it won’t allow me to alter the “included angle”.

I entered first as a Vee bit so that I could use as I would use any other Vee bit for Zank inlay technique. The pocket part of the inlay worked fine but when I milled the male/plug part of the inlay it milled more than was intended so the plug didn’t fit snug into the pocket.

I’m wondering if anyone has any advice for how to enter this tool manually, maybe as engraving tool?

I’m not positive, but I don’t think CC supports tapered ball nose bits as of now.

2 Likes

@MadHatter is correct, at this time, Carbide Create doesn’t support such tool geometry.

You can enter them as ball-nosed endmills, so long as you are careful to never use them on projects which do not have steeper features than the taper.

1 Like