The Nomad 3 in my Tiny Workshop

Christmas in November! :heart_eyes: :beer:

Unlike the competition ! Carbide3D did what they said they will ! SHIP on TIME !

18 Likes

24K RPM Spindle Test.

5 Likes

Could be the quality of the video, but that looks more like 23,900RPM to me.

8 Likes

itā€™s sitting on a plastic table with the lid closed. Could that explain the missing 100 RPM? :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

Oh Yeah that explains it.

I was counting how many times the pulley set screws went past. Guess I missed a few.

Sexy little machine.

5 Likes

Runout Test

Iā€™m new to CNC so Iā€™m not 100% sure if Iā€™m doing this correctly.

5 Likes

Awesome - now Iā€™m really itching to get mine in! I got my order in at 10:03 and am still waiting for it to ship.

6 Likes

You can put the tip of a DTI at a 90 degree angle and then stick it straight up into the collet, thatā€™s how Iā€™d measure what youā€™re measuring.

But I think itā€™s best to measure runout as a whole system: put a collet in, stick a cylindrical thing in it (like a steel pin or an endmill) and then measure the deviation as you rotate the cylinder (the shank, if youā€™re using an endmill).

4 Likes

The second video has an endmill. But I will try one again. This time a longer one or stick one in reverse and test the longer shank in multiple points. But then again, Iā€™m still happy with what I got.

2 Likes

I wouldnā€™t reverse an endmill ā€” might damage the cutting edges ā€” get a gage pin or a precision ground tooling blank if you donā€™t want flutes.

4 Likes

Got it ! Thank you. Please excuse my newbeeness. :sweat_smile:

I must have missed it, but what was the extra thing that they shipped with the Nomad? That secret thingy. Did it turn out to be a sticker of Rob?

3 Likes

I asked about it. they said they will ship the extra part when itā€™s ready. And yes they are keeping it a secret :thinking:

4 Likes

Definitely a sticker. Or something good. But if the good thing doesnā€™t work, they have stickers to save (Robā€™s) faceā€¦ (as in the face is on the stickerā€¦ joke, not insult)

6 Likes

I bet itā€™s something very useful but optional. I canā€™t wait for them to announce it. The suspense is too much. :joy:

3 Likes

Congratulations! Nice to see one has escaped the confines of C3D and made it into the wild.

3 Likes

Baby steps :slight_smile:

12 Likes

Just curious, did you get an email with shipping info prior to receiving? Ordered mine day oneā€¦still nothing?

Thanks and congrats!

2 Likes

Please check in w/ sales@carbide3d.com and theyā€™ll let you know about your order specifics.

2 Likes

Iā€™m so jealous! Placed my order by 10:04 on day one and no shipment notice yet. Iā€™ve called, emailed, and got generic answers ā€œ30 days or lessā€.

Congrats to you!

1 Like