The return of the g2/g3 error with Fusion360 post

Hi folks, back into it, and running into a different flavor of error from Fusion, following up on this:

I’ve found that it seems to crop up wherever the Fusion post decides to throw in a G19 plane change. An example line:
G19 G3 Y5.76 Z-6.829 J-8.765 K-29.517

This hangs and gives the g2/g3 error. When I’ve tweaked my tool pathing such that this doesn’t get generated, it fixes it, but this seems like something better fixed by fixing the post. @wmoy am I missing something?

80mmMFLogoTest_v1.5.nc (77.8 KB)
:point_up: No G19, runs successfully. Has some other feedrate issues, but works.

80mmMFLogoTest_v1.6.nc (76.7 KB)
:point_up: This has G19 G2 Y-8.132 Z-6.916 J11.609 K-30.34 F344 and fails

G19 should be supported, but I’m not entirely comfortable with 3 decimal places. Around line 77 in the post processor is where precision is defined. Change the “3 or 4 places” to “4 or 5 places”.

Should look something like: var xyzFormat = createFormat({decimals:(unit == MM ? 4 : 5)});

Heck, you can even try 5 or 6 places. Give that a shot and let me know how you make out, I’m curious…

1 Like

What’s odd is that it seems there’s nearly always one, and only one G19 move. At the start and end there’s G17 specified.

here’s another example, at line 102:
80mmMFLogo_V1.7.nc (82.6 KB)

Will try tweaked post now. (it still has only one G19)

@wmoy no joy with the increased resolution count:
80mmMFLogo_V1.7B.nc (100.6 KB)

CM build 4.0.428
GRBL 1.1f
Original Nomad883 (sn 137)

Update for a workaround:
line 34 is for setting circular plane allowance, where I’ve told Fusion to cut that out, and do XY plane arcs only:
allowedCircularPlanes = (1 << PLANE_XY) | (0 << PLANE_ZX) | (0 << PLANE_YZ);

Currently trying that.

@UnionNine Have you tried a different sender?
I checked the gcodes you said threw an error, and none of them created an error with grbl.

I’ve asked this a few times, but @wmoy, maybe you know…does Motion do its own checks for arc errors?

1 Like

@neilferreri I don’t have one handy that I’ve messed with. I’ve seen the Universal Gcode sender and other stuff tossed around, but haven’t dove into those. My above workaround worked a charm though for now.

1 Like

I’ve run into this as well, well I assume it’s the same issue. Created some simple toolpaths and it blows up about half way through using the latest carbide3d post processor. Attached are the screenshot etc…

I did report this to the Carbide3D support folks also.

holdertest.nc (1.2 KB)

If you’re comfortable messing around with the post processor, can you try making 2 changes:

around line 20:
tolerance = spatial(0.002, MM);
change that to
tolerance = spatial(0.0002, MM);

and around line 77:
var xyzFormat = createFormat({decimals:(unit == MM ? 3 : 4)});
change that to
var xyzFormat = createFormat({decimals:(unit == MM ? 4 : 5)});

Curious if just bumping up the precision fixes it, or if there’s a deeper issue. Could perhaps even push further. ie. Tolerance to 0.0001mm and 5-6 decimal places…

Unfortunately modifying the post processor (and verifying a change in the resultant .nc) was not successful. Tried a tolerance of .0001 and 5-6 decimal places with the same results… nc attached and a screenshot with updated motion. (on mine it was line 26 and 77)

holdertest2.nc (1.2 KB)

Try a different sender.

We’ll take a look at your file tomorrow and see what happens

1 Like

Removing lead-in and lead-out seems to fix it… but that’s not really viable if I want to get the finish that I’m looking for

@jcummings I checked your files and grbl does not give an error. I use Fusion 360 frequently, and I have only seen this error come up with Carbide Motion. Try CNCjs, UGS, bCNC or something else.

Can you try the 429 beta at https://carbide3d.com/carbidemotion/beta/ ? I cannot duplicate the problem but we made a small internal change to see what happens for you.

(Also, it’s notarized for OSX)

2 Likes

That build won’t load on my Mac running Catalina

What error do you get? (Screenshot would be great)

1 Like

None, it just loads a blank grey outline where the application would normally be but never progresses to the % loading on the top bar… I can get a screenshot but there is no error unfortunately… I’ll check logs in a second

1 Like

I can duplicate it now- we’ll look into it.

EDIT: Looks like a code signing problem related to Catalina. We’ll get it figured out (I hope).

Ok- can you download it again and try? I think we got the code signing fixed.

https://carbide3d.com/carbidemotion/beta/

1 Like