Thoughts on cutting specific angles into projects?

Okay, I’m revisiting my flag case project for Memorial Day — this requires a 22.5 degree angle to be cut into the ends of the bottom/sides — in theory a 135 degree V endmill would do this, but it would require a couple of stacked V carving toolpaths, and my wife is on an austerity campaign which does not bode well for buying more tooling.

Is there a tool which makes doing this w/ a ball-nosed endmill straight-forward?

I suppose I should just program something…

The straight-forward way would be to use a chop saw. :wink:
But you could model it in Fusion360 and mill it with a ball nose endmill.

1 Like

Yeah, I’ve got it modeled in BlockSCAD/OpenSCAD, and could export a 3D model as an STL and then cut it in MeshCAM, but not wild about what would be involved in getting that to register w/ Carbide Create.

You could do an angled variant of the front vertical mount trick?

1 Like

Vcarve can do chamfer paths with a ballnose or you can use the moulding/molding tool path.

1 Like

Want to cut the part flat so as to get everything in a single setup.

Custom program it is I guess.

1 Like

Well…

If you go with the ballnose or other cutter and a stepped toolpath, I have found that a nice sharp hand plane can do the last few thou putting a very decent finish on the slightly fuzzy edge. I believe you have such a device and it’s not against the rules to mix old and new :wink:

2 Likes

Yes, but I don’t think it’s appropriate to inflict my hand tool predilection on others as part of this project.

Seriously tempted to just break down and get a JointMaker v2, and a shooting plane and board, but those need to wait until I have a dedicated workspace.

1 Like

You could mount the stock in the overhang area at the correct angle and just cut it flat.

I want the stock flat so that I can cut it to length and cut other features into it all at one go.

For those bored, here’s what a chamfer path preview would do in Vectric.

It would take a bit of fiddling with calculations to get final part lengths correct of course.

1 Like

Found a program which looks as if it might be useful for this and other tasks:

http://fullcontrolgcode.com/software

it’s intended for 3D printing, but G-Code, is G-Code, right?

Additive, subtractive, 220, 221. Whatever it takes.

:grinning:

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.