Tiling feature in carbide create

Opie! :smile: Nice video! You do talk pretty fast :laughing:

You went through the ā€œMoving the stockā€ part really quick. I think the point to drive home is, whatever you set your tile height to, thatā€™s how far you want to move the stock. Regardless of how you index it, with a pencil mark, dowel holes, etcā€¦

The misalignment on the overlap was a bit disheartening. I agree, at 60 miles an hour no one will notice. But for us OCD perfectionists we want to know how to prevent that.

You also cruised through the ā€œX Marginā€ and how to tile multiple pieces. I think I get it. You either need to use layers or multiple files, but a slightly more in depth discussion might be prudent.

Say I wanted to create a world map (also without New Zealand :laughing: ) using 2 sheets of plywood. Best practicesā€¦???

4 Likes

Yes Tod1d, there is a certain amount of pacing and level of detail considerations that go into a video. We will have subsequent use of Tiling in later projects and videos. Everything Everywhere All at Once may win at the Oscars, but itā€™s a bad video plan!

Part of the deal is people need to play with the feature, their own project and develop workflow that meets the demands of their brain.
I was off on the cut that time due to the slide and my workholding. Just like all of you, when we get a new feature I have to experiment with it and learn it. There was a third cut, not in the video, that was spot on. So the methodology is good. Youā€™re dead on with the Tile Size = Stock Movement. The overlap is essentially the safety there.

For the X-Margin, in a gigantic project itā€™s going to be the side of the separate panels. The margin should ensure that whatever vector is at the edge of your panel gets cut in. In many cases that will be an air cut on any given panel. I would locate a panel with a Left Side Partner (See Africa in your above example) away from the edge guide. I would space it with a pair of 123 Blocks (as seen in Carbdie 3D IG stories yesterday) to provide that same accuracy of Y alignment to a panel with X-Margin considerations.
This is why the installation of the Y-Guides is incredibly nice on the new machine. Any project can then be squared exactly to your particular machine.

• Opie
5 Likes

Kevin, fair enough. :slight_smile: You did cover quite a lot in a short video. Taking a more deep dive would have made it too long. Looking forward to the sequel :wink:

Thanks for the extra explanation.

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.