Tips on making this wall light?

Well she’d better love it, as I’m now on my third finger cut on this thing :joy:
(pro tip: don’t run your finger on a sharp richlite edge while sanding)

Seriously though, besides the flaws, as usual it’s going from idea to picture to CAD to something you can hold in your hand that is really satisfying. CNC rocks.

4 Likes

My rule of thumb is if I know how to do it, it’ll take twice as long as I anticipate. If I don’t know how to do it (say only know the general approach), then all bets are off.

2 Likes

A rule I once saw for boat projects was double the number and step up the units; for example: 3 hour estimate becomes 6 days!

2 Likes

I’ve learned to judge my success by whether or not I can repeat what I’ve just done. If I can = success, if not = got lucky first time, try again. The same outcome, minor flaws or not, is to me a success :slight_smile:

Looking forward to the backlit beauty shots now, a little dry ice smoke to really set the scene? :wink:

3 Likes

That looks awesome!

“The first of three”… the other two will go much faster!

1 Like

Any news on this? I’m really curious.
John

1 Like

Actually I just finished them today, installed the bulb sockets and electrical connections, they are ready to go on the wall later this week

I’m very happy I’m not doing this for money, I would be bankrupt :sweat_smile:

(Hopefully) some glamour shots to follow once they are installed.

12 Likes

Do you want me to notify the fire department, or will you take care of it? :grinning: :innocent:

(Yes…I know they’re LEDs)

They look great, Julian.
Inspired by your project, I went down my own rabbit hole.

I have used mdf for the prototype. I’m planning on making the back and front panels out of solid wood - the thinking being that I want them to look good when the light isn’t on.
The inserts are epoxy with a little bit of white dye to make them opaque. I cast the inserts in silicone molds, milled them flat, cut them out and inserted them into the back of the front panel. I wanted to give myself the ability to change the inserts to give me some choices about colour. Also I thought that I might need to make the insert closest to the lamp thicker, to make it the same brightness as the other two - so far it doesn’t seem necessary.
The inserts are matt on the back where I machined them. I sanded them with fine wet and dry sandpaper. I am contemplating putting a gloss coating on the matt surface to see how that looks. I have lined the inside with 2mm acrylic sheet as I was losing light to absorption. I am using a 60W equivalent Led light, offset so it sits behind the area that has no cut out. I wanted the inserts to be roughly equal in terms of light transmission.
So far I’m happy with how it looks.
John

5 Likes

And this is finally DONE. Phew…
Wife is happy, I’m happy I saw this through, and it will be a delight to cross that one off the todo list!

They have been on for three hours and the body of each sconce is still cold to the touch, so @GJM you can probably call off the fire department :slight_smile:

@LiamN: sorry, I had no dry ice smoke machine on hand

22 Likes

Congratulations @Julien ! They look beautiful!

1 Like

@Julien Proportions are perfect…size compared to the wall is great as well. Colors seem to work well with the doors and the painting. I’m a fan :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks for the kind words. I was terrified they would turn out “meh” after spending all this time on them, but they did turn out ok and as I said my wife likes them, which makes this project a success.
My satisfaction comes from having made something that started as a picture and ended up looking similar enough to the Fusion360 rendering from two months ago. But after all this richlite and epoxy, I definitely need to make wood chips now!

1 Like

I really like those, the finish is really crisp and clean, which that design needs in order to look right, the light has a subtle side light pattern and hues in addition to the uplight. They’re not over-complicated, the simple ‘flat’ design with a slim, consistent seam width is a modernised read of the style where arguably size and bumpiness of the lead between the glazing was the imposed by the limits of the manufacturing process of the time. I like the simple black box on the bottom too, doesn’t complicate or distract from the feature elements on top.

Maybe you’ve got another career in front of you? :wink:

3 Likes

I’ve only now started to follow this thread, but thanks for the awesome write up and back forth on it, Julien! Really cool to see your approach and process.

The finished pieces look amazing! Nice work!

1 Like

They really came out beautiful, Julien. You did a great job and have inspired me to look into something like that. Thanks for all the tutorials you did!!

1 Like

Very nice lights, well worth the time and effort i would say

1 Like

Hi Julien, as an Australian the highest compliment I can make is: Bloody Bewdy Mate.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.