Tips on making this wall light?

Hi everyone,

Looking for tips from the community.

My wife would like three wall lights, they’ll be in the same dressing room for which I made this tabletop. Which means, Art Deco style. She narrowed it to one of these three candidates:

I would tend to carve the faces in wood (or possibly brass if I feel adventurous) and then fill the gaps with epoxy resin, which for once I would not sand back to transparency, to keep it translucent and diffusing light.

Does that sound reasonable? I’m not worried about heat, I will use LED bulbs in there.

The difficulty I foresee is getting the slope/angle of the edges right such that all faces join correctly. I may cheat a little bit and make them “magic” values like 30 or 45°, to be able to mill them with a regular vbit.

Anyway, it’s been a while since I last made a lamp, this should be fun!

10 Likes

Well any of the three look fantastic, compliment Mrs Julien on her art deco taste :wink:

You could consider an opal acrylic and machine it to insert from the rear of the brass rather than trying to get the epoxy perfectly flat?

2 Likes

Ha. Interesting idea. I would need to have perfect tolerances though (compared to epoxy infill). But I would be able to get a better light diffusing material than sanded epoxy…mmh

Machine a sheet of brass/aluminum (if the latter, spray paint w/ a suitable metallic colour) and include a channel for the bend?

Then you could machine acrylic panels to insert from inside.

I think the left one works best as a light (fewer distracting shadows) and would be easiest to make thus.

3 Likes

I’m with @WillAdams on his choice, and I’ll add that the left one is only one side with a mirror copy and a base (or mounting board.)

Mill the frame with room on the inside to glue your translucent material there.

2 Likes

The left one could be milled from aluminum sheet and bent in a finger break or possibly be bent first then milled. Then tape it face down on a silicone soldering mat and epoxy fill the windows one side at a time.

1 Like

The one on the left gets my vote. How’s this for coming out of left field and a preference for wood?

Pocket the piece on the backside, cast the epoxy, flip, then mill the show face out to expose the epoxy

1 Like

Thanks, the “bending” approach sounds quite interesting if I go for brass, actually it may be my only option in this case, as joining two (or three) individual pieces of brass seamlessly sounds like a challenge. This would also avoid sharp edges.

I’m with you all on “I prefer the one on the left”, but it so happens that the “client” has a different opinion, so…we’ll see if I can convince her :sweat_smile:

1 Like

I kind of like the one on the right, actually. It might be a bit more complicated for you…but I’m sure that’s a sacrifice Ms. Julien is willing to make!

The irony of this was that I was reading the original post quickly and didn’t look to see who was posting it…my first thought, when I saw resin pours in CNC work was, “Ask Julien”!

I can’t add a whole lot, but you might want to consider pigment additives for the resin…they can stay semi-opaque easier.

2 Likes

For the two more complex lamps it might be worth considering the ‘traditional’ approach of using cut pieces of glass wrapped with brass foil tape and soldered together (or soddered in America).

5 Likes

Soddered

6 Likes

@LiamN It’s “Solder” here in the states, as well. Sorry, but this one can’t be used as fodder for the “Americans say the darnedest things”-campaign :innocent:.

2 Likes

Gary,

I accept that y’all don’t talk the same, personally I find the Georgia type southern accents real easy to listen to…

The lamp on the right seems to have the best ‘goes with’ factor for your table… Sorry if you didn’t want to hear that :wink:

I would be inclined to approach this as a resin fill into 3 fretwork panels with mitred/rebated joints, set in a base with suitable rebate (and possibly 15deg chamfered to accept the flare on the shape). For the resin I would tack the frets onto a sheet of plexiglass/glass to get a perfect presentation side and then linish it once released from the glass - either vertically or sympathetic angles. Getting the quantity of resin in the identical tint may take some experimentation and disciplined recipe notes…

Sort of similar project… just a lot easier :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Left one… Looks like both faces are planed. Mill and insert a frosted or opaque acrylic! I wouldn’t mess with epoxy because of issues with thickness.

For the frame, I’d go bent aluminum. Maybe 3d print or mill a mold to get the edge right.

1 Like

If you do go with brass for the framing, you should be able to solder the pieces together and then feather the joints.
I think that would give you a nice clean look (assuming a bit of practice first!)

2 Likes

This is tempting, learning a new technique could be interesting (or a new rabbit hole :slight_smile: )

Could result in “needing” a whole new set of tools!

There are only two types of tools: Those you have and those you need.

2 Likes

To do the brass version you might want to braze it with a gas torch rather than solder with an iron. The Brazing can sand down to brassy finish.

5 Likes

I agree with Andy regarding the “goes with” factor, of the right one. That said, my personal preference would be the left one - for many of the reasons already given. That’s all I got. :slight_smile:

Nice work on the table, Julien.

1 Like