What did you cut on your Shapeoko/ Nomad today?

Perfect! is the Tormach 24r in the hobby field? I just had a friend order one for his business and look forward to helping him dial it in while he waits for the ATC upgrade to come out for it. I hope they don’t use the JGL line and go for a custom made spindle or use the FM series from cnc depot with ceramic bearings.

I will be joining proven cut as soon as my HDM gets here and I hope you went all out with it in aluminum.

1 Like

@Ed.E put together a little project for me to make gremlins and planes for my special needs kids to paint.(I’m

an Occupational Therapy practitioner in two elementary schools, mainly boys on the caseload) This was my first project! :raised_hands:t2: Learned a ton. Also, a shout out to @Sherpa for sending me his CNC monsters - my kiddos are going to love them! Thank you gentlemen for being so kind.

14 Likes

I created a beefy dowel jig. Should be helpful with a few new projects…

Google Photos

Google Photos

9 Likes

Well done! Excellent use of the method. Shou Sugi Collet Ban deserves a mention in Dwell this next month.

Unlocking the secrets of actual minimum chiploads plus high depth Contouring magic of 6061 in the Nomad 3. Recipes for 1/8 single and 3f, 1/4 3f and 6mm single.

12 Likes

And finally, it’s done. My wife likes it, so, mission accomplished.

43 Likes

That looks amazing Julien, congratulations!

1 Like

Now, @Julien , you know that anything you do around the house is going to command praise from your wife! :smiley: Wives always want you to keep on going!

Well, I’m impressed, too. I’m working with some cutting boards with edge-glued joints. I’m sure hoping they used some strong water-proof glue!

1 Like

Built a drawer and cutout a new tool tray out of pine.

30 Likes

Been hobby-idle with too many work projects lately. But Sunday I had time to update Vcarve Pro and by way of experimenting with new features and reminding myself of how existing features worked did a few things.

3/4" mdf and 1/2" mdf, nothing special about bits, feeds or speeds.

Files from one of the FB groups. Need sealing with shellac, edge sanding and painting. Girlfriend’s daughter already claimed Grogu. Not planning to sell them so not worried about IP issues.

12 Likes

Nice, I’d like to try some carving.

In the meantime, some easy metalwork. I needed to knock up some Aluminium plates to work as decorative / reinforcement plates for some wood strips we’re using as hangars for acoustic treatment panels. A friend is covering the ceiling of his studio in aluminium trusswork and acoustic panels. Yes, the same person I built the desk for.

A quick job, 3mm 6083T6 aluminium sheet.
Z zero on two layers of blue tape on the spoilboard, tape and glue only for workholding

Op 1
4mm carbide spot drill with a squirt of Isopropanol as lubricant to make the holes
Drilling op 3,500RPM in the spindle, plunge rate of 60 mm / min, pecking at 1mm depths

Op 2
4mm APT DLC single flute aluminium cutter
22kRPM
Boring at 250mm/min to keep the speed at the outside of the hole down, 2 degree ramp angle, finish stepover of 0.1mm
2D Contour at 1,000mm / min feedrate 1mm depth, ramping into the contour at 2 degrees, single finish stepover at full depth of 0.2mm to clean up the edges

Op 3
Trend 90degree wood chamfer cutter getting more abuse
22kRPM
2D Chamfer, 0.5mm, 1.5mm tip offset, 800mm/min

7 Likes

My first attempt on my new Shapeoko XXL so far its worked well

12 Likes

Adaptive roughed 4140 steel on the HDM today :slight_smile:

7 Likes

We going to see a video on this? That would be slick.

Still dialing things in but here are a couple vids.

4140 Adaptive side milling and some initial boring with the same 1/4 tool. I’m probably going to lower the spindle rpm to the 8k minimum and add a light mist coolant to get things going perfect. This machine has the power but SFM limited materials will require some creativity. No feeds and speeds yet but everything looks very promising.

Ok, Bore take #2. 8krpm on the 1.5kw didn’t have any trouble with power delivery. Minimal mist is working well. Adjusted the feeds and speeds to be a little more aggressive to help produce a chip that will manage the heat better.

19 Likes

Inspired by a post in this thread, decided to do something I’ve not done in 60 years…build a skateboard. Two actually.

First is done, screwed up the second so trying to turn a mistake into a feature…stay tuned.

Very simple design, kids are pretty young, first skateboard for each. Too big I’m sure, they’ll grow into them.

Started with some hardwood off cuts.

Sliced ‘em into 1” strips, glued ‘em up, resawed to 2 halves, slightly over 1/2” thick.

Quick sketch in Fusion, camed one end, cut out the end, flipped the stock, cut the other end. Easy easy.

17 Likes

Griff

Your logo was that vcarved or is it a stamp/branding iron?

Did that on a whim, vcarved.

1 Like

Now to carve a kick tail and add some grip tape! I am curious to see how the glued joints hold up

@Vince.Fab i am loving your work, loving your proven cuts too :wink: & love hearing you being discussed as a good worker on the BOM Podcasts - Congratulations on your success - live your best life!

3 Likes