Tips on making this wall light?

Thanks, I will have to find me some of that. For some reason spray poly is not so easy to find at the big box stores here, at least not that brand/type.

Due to pareidolia and Julien’s sadness, all I see is this:

7 Likes

The spray poly is oil based. The EU is more restrictive on VOC content than in the US. That may be the reason you can not find it in the EU.

1 Like

Quoting you quoting Edison…

1 Like

I both learned a new word and laughed out loud, thank you :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Richlite says that Richlite can/should be finished using either “Richlite Color Enhancer” or Osmo oil, and Osmo oil was available overnight from Amazon, so I got some

and did a first test which leads me to believe that yes indeed, this looks like a good finish option. Light sanding at 120 grit, thin coat of osmo, wiping off the excess, and already it starts looking much deeper and much less chalky than the raw richlite sheet (left of picture)

So with epoxy coating off the table and underwhelming results from testing shellac spray, this might just be the finishing option I’ll choose for the lamp.

6 Likes

This is taking waaay longer than I anticipated, but the first of the three sconces is now semi-finished

(with all its imperfections, that I have decided “give it character” :wink: )

17 Likes

Looks really nice Julien, lots of work but well worth it! Maybe try the color changing Led bulbs.

1 Like

Julien…it is worth the wait. It looks terrific and genuine. Without seeing it in person, it’s really hard to tell that it’s not glass in there. Can’t wait to see it lit up.

I also like that you came up with the 1002nd use for blue tape! :slight_smile:

• Gary
2 Likes

If I had to pay $1 everytime I said that one liner I’d be broke :slight_smile:

Edit: Pretty sure that’s the case with most originals in the maker shop but worth it in the end.

3 Likes

Looks really good. Only the creator can see the flaws, something I ‘suffer’ from to the incredulity of others who think I’m being super-pedantic :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I remember reading a story about a woodworker who created a Grandfather clock for his wife. He presented it and she said, “Where is it?”. When he inquired, she said, “The flaws”. He then explained that she was right - everything he ever made had flaws…he was not a Nakashima or Maloof…and didn’t have the skills nor patience to produce flawless pieces. So he showed her the spot in the inside bottom where his chisel had slipped, leaving an uneven gash that he had covered. She told him she loved the piece. He asked, “Even with the flaws?” and she replied, “BECAUSE of the flaws!”.

EDIT: @Julien The moral of this story is that your wife is going to LOVE it!

7 Likes

Well she’d better love it, as I’m now on my third finger cut on this thing :joy:
(pro tip: don’t run your finger on a sharp richlite edge while sanding)

Seriously though, besides the flaws, as usual it’s going from idea to picture to CAD to something you can hold in your hand that is really satisfying. CNC rocks.

4 Likes

My rule of thumb is if I know how to do it, it’ll take twice as long as I anticipate. If I don’t know how to do it (say only know the general approach), then all bets are off.

2 Likes

A rule I once saw for boat projects was double the number and step up the units; for example: 3 hour estimate becomes 6 days!

2 Likes

I’ve learned to judge my success by whether or not I can repeat what I’ve just done. If I can = success, if not = got lucky first time, try again. The same outcome, minor flaws or not, is to me a success :slight_smile:

Looking forward to the backlit beauty shots now, a little dry ice smoke to really set the scene? :wink:

3 Likes

That looks awesome!

“The first of three”… the other two will go much faster!

1 Like

Any news on this? I’m really curious.
John

1 Like

Actually I just finished them today, installed the bulb sockets and electrical connections, they are ready to go on the wall later this week

I’m very happy I’m not doing this for money, I would be bankrupt :sweat_smile:

(Hopefully) some glamour shots to follow once they are installed.

12 Likes